• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Peaceful Assembly Church

Started by John, June 25, 2010, 08:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan

The Peaceful Assembly Church hosted choir practice for Rich Angell and the Peaceful Assembly Choir's rendition of Weeda Claus's Chronic Christmas Carols last Thursday. And hopefully, they'll be another choir practice this upcoming Thursday as well, so if you're in Free Grafton around 7pm and would like to join the Peaceful Assembly Choir in their mission to spread Christmas cheer, you might consider joining us.

Tom Sawyer

Sounds like fun... look forward to seeing ya'll there. :)

John

Cool. I hear that Roger is quite the singer.  ;D

John

For next week's (Nov. 12) Friday Family Fun Night we are taking another Fall Field Trip.
This time we are going to the Quaker Meeting House in Jaffrey.
This should be fun.

Some of us could carpool from here, and others who are in other areas might want to meet us there.

Find out what's up over here:
http://jgiddings.home.igc.org/quaker/calendar.html

Kat Kanning

John was saying tonight that it's too expensive for him to have events at the chuch - the heat and the lights....so I'm thinking we might want to have bible study and the Set the Captives Free at our house to save him money.  Certainly we could have the choir practice here too if Jason wanted.

TalleyTV

Thanks for opening your home to the choir, Kat. I think it would be smart to have choir practice at Hoyt during the Winter. Thanks to John for his generosity in letting us get underway at the Church. When Free Grafton thaws from the Winter I hope we can resume having weekly choir practices in the beautiful Peaceful Assembly Church.

John

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 11, 2010, 07:53 PM NHFT
John was saying tonight that it's too expensive for him to have events at the church - the heat and the lights....so I'm thinking we might want to have bible study and the Set the Captives Free at our house to save him money.  Certainly we could have the choir practice here too if Jason wanted.

Actually, when the issue of when to hold choir practice came up, John was once again suggesting that it might be more efficient to consolidate some of our church activities into the same night because, yes, it is expensive to heat the hall (which is about 25 feet by 40 feet with 10 foot ceilings). And the heat does not get turned on just as people start arriving. It gets turned on well in advance so that the furniture and walls are not cold ... Some of our meetings have only lasted for about an hour and it seems that it could be possible to fit several things into one night.
John also mentioned that during the cold winter months that it might even make sense to consolidate all of our church activities into the weekends, keeping the building always warm from Friday night until Sunday night. This would allow for all of our current activities and leave plenty of room for other stuff, including the "Social Saturdays" events which John has been talking about which might be a chance for all sorts of visitors (both to and from Grafton) to come by for various social activity such as doing meet and greets, etc.
John made certain to mentioned that the Bible Study and the Nonviolence Class would have first choice of times in such a winter schedule.

As one of our guys might say; You can tell how much people value things by how much they are willing to help out. Most people who come here like to be helpful.

John

Earlier today there was another post here which seemed to carry a bunch of negative energy regarding me making that person feel unwelcome.  I tried to answer some of its concerns without getting into the negativity, and then posted my responce. When I did post, the other post was gone so I removed my responce.
Since that time it has occurred to me that others may have read the post I was responding to. I had not noticed how long it had been there. So I decided that I should probably at least address the issue where it was saying something about me "watching the clock" and something about me counting every minute that I "had to" heat the church hall.

Several things were going on regarding the clock- and me worrying about how many minutes the heat was on was not one of them.
Time had been part of the conversation since at least the afternoon. I was told in the late afternoon that folks had decided that they wanted to start at 5 rather than 6 and that some folks were hoping to have some comfort food during the evening. This is all fine with me and I am happy to be ready. Some folks arrived around 5 and there was conversation about when others might arrive. Some folks ate some comfort food which began to get a bit low early, so I went to the store to get more ingredients for another batch. I also put on a pot of long grain brown rice. I always "watch the clock" when cooking my rice. That is why it almost always turns out perfectly. I keep an eye on the clock to adjust it once and then check it occasionally, I continue keeping an eye on the clock so as not to over cook. More folks arrived at other times and when they did there was small talk about time again - you know what time did you arrive ... do you think anyone else is coming ... that sort of thing. Someone asked if a particular person was coming and I said that if he was coming I think that it would be no later than 10 after 7. This was based on the fact that last week we had changed from 6 and started at 7. He arrived just after 7, and then time was a small part of the conversation again. So there you go - more talk about time.

Sorry to have made that person (and anyone else) feel uncomfortable or "not welcome."

Turns out that no one ever asked for any more comfort food. Yummy. :)

MaineShark

I don't normally post spelling corrections, but...

"Coming" is the word you want.  "Comming" is incorrect, which I normally wouldn't mention, except that it can be taken to mean something substantially different, in certain dialects of English...

Joe

John

Thanks Joe. (I'm wondering which dialects.)
As folks have probably noticed my spelling is atrocious. I'll sometimes even spell the same word two different ways in the same post. Sometimes I can even misspell the same (simple) word two different ways in the same darn sentence. These things, I'll often not even notice.
I try to not do that but there seems to be some sort of verbal dyslexia.
I'll keep trying.
If anyone knows a good way to improve on this I'd be interested in checking into it. Most people I've talked to have said that reading a lot should help. I like to read and have been doing plenty of it for a very long time. It doesn't seem to work for me.
I can actually butcher words so badly that spell check even has no idea what I am trying for.
Seems I have a lot of imperfections.  :-[

Russell Kanning

many of the spellchecks say I am misspelling half of my words
i think they have trouble reading my handwriting

Lloyd Danforth

If you don't know how to spell a word, but have two choices that you really like, you should use them both in a sentence. They average out.

MaineShark

Quote from: John on November 13, 2010, 10:57 PM NHFTI'm wondering which dialects.

Ones that lean more toward British spellings.

Quote from: John on November 13, 2010, 10:57 PM NHFTAs folks have probably noticed my spelling is atrocious.

Bah.  I've never had trouble reading any of your posts.  That just jumped at me because I have British friends who would start snickering if they read that.

Joe

John

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 14, 2010, 06:49 AM NHFT
If you don't know how to spell a word, but have two choices that you really like, you should use them both in a sentence. They average out.

Hey, just a minute, that's what I was trying (kidding) to do but Joe didn't like it - do to certain dialects.  ;D
It's sure not easy being just an average guy around here any more - now is it?  :)
(Some of my favorite talkshows ever were the "Word Police" shows that Gene Burns used to have. Good clean fun with all sorts of language issues.)

John

BTW - I knew that the British talk all sorts of funny ways, but I had forgotten that they also spell funny sometimes..
I'll try to be more careful.
And, I may take this over to the word police thread before I ruin the nice church thread. ;)