• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Peaceful Assembly Church

Started by John, June 25, 2010, 08:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John

John

Someone, elswere, said that I will loose my "investment" if I do not negotiate.
As posted by me, elswhere:

"There is nothing to negotiate. THIS IS A LINE I CAN NOT AND WILL NOT CROSS. Peaceful Assembly Church WILL NOT be paying taxes to the government. I do not consider this an "investment" in any financial sense. I am answering a calling. This is for real. I am ready and willing to put EVERYTHING on the line. EVERYTHING as in; my life, my "fortune," and my Sacred honor. Its what is left. Hopefully I am able to stand my ground.
Eventually INDIVIDUALS IN GOVERNMENT might decide/CHOOSE to order/provoke other INDIVIDUALS WITH GUNS to come and steal the Peaceful Assembly Church building and the small half acre grounds. Hopefully, that is something ENOUGH INDIVIDUALS will decide is a very bad idea and the wrong thing to do.
It would be much easier on EVERYBODY if the INDIVIDUAL POLITICIANS (board of selectmen [603] 523-7700) make the right decision sooner rather than later."

We know that at least one INDIVIDUAL politician who reads the underground regularly has been making bad CHOICES on this issue so far, and will be making more CHOICES about this issue.

Russell Kanning

I wonder if people who think they have an interest in the old white church in the middle of town would want to stop by and offer their ideas, time, talents, and money to have the church continue in the way that they think is best.
It seems very strange that the town of Grafton ... or at least a few people who try to run it ... think that they should start taxing the church after it changed hands.
I wonder what these folks think is John's "fair share" of support of government jailschools is.

KBCraig

I have to wonder what they think they're losing. There was no tax revenue there that suddenly stopped. It's not like John took over the general store and declared it to be a church... He bought a tax exempt church and continues to operate it as such.

"The Town of Grafton" neither lost revenue, nor incurred expenses. John probably saved them money, compared to an historic building sitting empty.

Pat K

Never underestimate the rancor of the small and petty.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on August 05, 2011, 01:50 AM NHFT
I have to wonder what they think they're losing. There was no tax revenue there that suddenly stopped. It's not like John took over the general store and declared it to be a church... He bought a tax exempt church and continues to operate it as such.

"The Town of Grafton" neither lost revenue, nor incurred expenses. John probably saved them money, compared to an historic building sitting empty.
I understand that the town taxed the church before John owned it.

AntonLee

if that's true, then that's pretty dumb.  The building is a church, regardless of what government permissions allow it to be so.  If they went and taxed the church, then it's their loss for their mistake.

Other local church goers will flock to defend the PAC.  Even some non-locals.  Time for Grafton's elite to give up the fight against the church.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 05, 2011, 05:40 AM NHFT
I understand that the town taxed the church before John owned it.
That is strange. The old church group never mentioned that and I have not heard that before.
As far as I know they are wanting certain paperwork filled out to maintain the old status.
I wonder what the government assessed them at and what kinds of taxes they think the church should pay.

It is funny KBcraig .... it must be some people greedy to get more tax revenue. I have also heard tell that the taxes in the town could go down if people like the church paid in. I find that funny considering the amounts involved.

Many also do not know that the old church offered up the building for free to the town, boy scouts, and head start. None of which wanted the responsibility and expense. The Peaceful Assembly Church actually paid money for the building and has maintained it with the help of volunteers around town.

Lloyd Danforth

According to Silent Bob, they also continue to tax the new church. I guess they also refuse to get government approval.

Lloyd Danforth

The Taxpayers of Grafton presently pay, not just rent for several(dozens?) people, but also mortgage payments so those people won't be put to the trouble of having to find other housing should their landlords be forclosed upon.
If John is put out of the church, he will be eligible for a housing allowance from the town.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 05, 2011, 07:31 AM NHFT
The Taxpayers of Grafton presently pay, not just rent for several(dozens?) people, but also mortgage payments so those people won't be put to the trouble of having to find other housing should their landlords be forclosed upon.
If John is put out of the church, he will be eligible for a housing allowance from the town.

...first they break your legs....then they hand you crutches.   ;D

doobie

I'm surprised the left/ACLU hasn't gotten on the bandwagon of churches not paying taxes....  I'm sure they can come up with reasons why that violates the separation of church and state. 

John

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 05, 2011, 05:40 AM NHFTI understand that the town taxed the church before John owned it.

Steve Darrow the (now chief) selectman CLAIMS that the property was put on the tax rolls right after the other guys moved out. However, Steve only started saying this WELL INTO the mess that the town - ie. the selectmen - has been creating.

The real estate paperwork showed the property as having tax exempt status, and it was only days between when it hit the market and it being announced that the property would continue being used as a church property; HOWEVER, at the same time it became clear that a Freedom activist was going to be the one buying it. It appears that it is only after this that things began to change.
Also, it is said that the selectmen were "consulting" their "tax assessors" about taxing this church WELL AFTER it was announced that the property was continuing to be used for church purposes. It is further said that the re evaluating of the other two churches in town began WELL AFTER the selectmen chose to start messing with this one.

It is even reported that the "BLTA-form 9" for one church in town had stopped being submitting quite some time ago - and YET that property was still being kept as tax exempt - - - until the selectmen started messing with this one.

The situation is rather troubling.

Quite frankly, and I'm probably not the only one around here, I have a hard time believing things which politicians say.

John

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 05, 2011, 07:24 AM NHFT
According to Silent Bob, they also continue to tax the new church. I guess they also refuse to get government approval.

Continue? I'm told that SOME PORTION of that property (which is not used for religious purposes) is now taxed, and that this started happening only AFTER the selectmen chose to start creating problems for themselves by messing with Peaceful Assembly Church.

Silent_Bob

Quote from: John on August 05, 2011, 04:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 05, 2011, 07:24 AM NHFT

Continue? I'm told that SOME PORTION of that property (which is not used for religious purposes) is now taxed, and that this started happening only AFTER the selectmen chose to start creating problems for themselves by messing with Peaceful Assembly Church.

I do not know details, I'm only extrapolating from what I'm reading in the selectmen meeting minutes.

http://www.townofgraftonnh.com/images/July_6_2011_Selectmen_Minutes.pdf

Page three: "Letter from Cleveland, Waters and Bass Attorneys at Law regarding Millbrook Christian Fellowship's denial of religious exemption"