• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Happy Independence Day

Started by Tom Sawyer, July 04, 2010, 10:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Freedom... how very American... at least it was. This photo of Ann Margret on a chopper... free, sexy, a powerful woman... these are all feelings this photo resonated with in me.

Today, July 4th, is a day we celebrate freedom... at least we used to... most folks think it is about grilling out, going to the beach, or of course fireworks.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it... ...we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.
Declaration of Independence

This document penned by one of my heroes I greatly admire, for his intellect and vision, Thomas Jefferson.

If the outcome of the revolution had gone badly the men who signed the document would have been tried for treason...

"The grisly punishment included the drawing of the convicted to the gallows, often by horse, the hanging of the body until near death, disembowelment and castration, followed by the beheading of the body, and finally the quartering of the corpse, or the division of the bodily remnants into four pieces. The punishment was carried out in public, with the ridicule of the crowd adding to the criminal's suffering."

...The revolution starts now
When you rise above your fear
And tear the walls around you down
The revolution starts here
Where you work and where you play
Where you lay your money down
What you do and what you say
The revolution starts now
Yeah the revolution starts now...
Steve Earle -- The Revolution Starts Now

I don't propose "Revolution" I propose "Evolution"...

The American Revolution, was "Farewell to Kings". Most were unable to imagine a world without the rule of Kings.

...Cities full of hatred, fear and lies
Withered hearts and cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude and
Scoffing at the wise
Can't we raise our eyes and make a start?
Can't we find the minds to lead us
Closer to the Heart?
Rush -- Farewell to Kings

The next step, the "Evolution" I call "Farewell to the State". Most are unable to imagine a world without the rule of coercive governments...

Goverments force you to pay for evils you find morally repugnant... Governments imprison/torture/kill people that have caused no harm to others.

I ask people, "If you have a problem with someone, is it morally permissible to kill them or take things from them?" They answer "No, of course not."

I then say "If ten people get together and decide to kill or steal from them, is that morally permissible?" I continue the logic to include millions of people... "At what point does it become morally allowable to kill and steal?"

Just as the King, somehow, was permitted to kill and steal... We have been presented justifications that deify the "State" to sanctify the evil of killing and stealing.

Most of the interactions we are involved with every day do not involve coercion... I suggest that we can find peace and prosperity by applying the same moral principles to governance.

So today we will celebrate freedom...
We'll shoot off fireworks, that are illegal.
We'll smoke some flowers, that are illegal.
We'll have some uninhibited sex. some would gladly make illegal.
and
We'll live as free as possible... hoping for a day when we will all be free.

Happy Independence Day

Lloyd Danforth

Pat K

Russell Kanning

we even watched Free fireworks from our neighbors yards while we ate dinner last night at the Free Grafton launch
later they lit up their own