• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Marijuana Protest "redressing grievances at State Liquor Store"

Started by Free libertarian, July 08, 2010, 11:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

I've often wondered what people would think if there was a large scale "redressing of grievances"
regarding Marijuana prohibition at a New Hampshire State liquor store.

I was thinking the one on Route 93 near the toll booth in Manchester has alot of visibility.

I wonder if enough people would go there sometime this summer to make it a newsworthy event.
There does seem to be a built in irony if an event were held at a STATE controlled liquor store.

I'm interested in whether others have wondered the same thing or think it could be a bigger event than the 420 held in Concord earlier this year...anyone?

I'll be going to the NORTHBOUND side as there are two liquor stores at this location.

Jim Johnson

KBCraig

Sounds like a good location.

There might be some confrontation, because some of the most vehement anti-legalization people imbibe regularly of the demon rum. An "End Prohibition Now!" campaign might penetrate their skulls, though.

K. Darien Freeheart

I've liked the idea since the day you first floated it to me.

I'm in!

highline

Quote from: Free libertarian on July 08, 2010, 11:54 AM NHFT
I was thinking the one on Route 93 near the toll booth in Manchester has alot of visibility.

Which one?  North or southbound.

Don't you dare drink and drive...  but if you do, buy it from us, either side of the damn highway.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteWhich one?  North or southbound.

I stop at the Northbound one FAR more often than the southbound. I'm not sure if this is typical or not. Ideally, we'd have some people on either side.

QuoteDon't you dare drink and drive...  but if you do, buy it from us, either side of the damn highway.

I think it's ironic that the state puts so many resources into banning some drugs and then has banners that LITERALLY say "Stock up" on others.

highline

Quote from: Kevin Dean on July 11, 2010, 05:56 PM NHFT
QuoteWhich one?  North or southbound.

I stop at the Northbound one FAR more often than the southbound. I'm not sure if this is typical or not. Ideally, we'd have some people on either side.

QuoteDon't you dare drink and drive...  but if you do, buy it from us, either side of the damn highway.

I think it's ironic that the state puts so many resources into banning some drugs and then has banners that LITERALLY say "Stock up" on others.

Yeah.  They'll cage you like an animal for merely holding a plant while begging you to buy a liquid which is far more dangerous.

Man, I regret arresting (hurting) so many people for that :(

Walker

State liquor stores still exist?!?  I thought the state relinquished that power so they could collect more revenue from private owners.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteState liquor stores still exist?!?  I thought the state relinquished that power so they could collect more revenue from private owners.

Yep, they still exist. NH actually has one of the FEW profitable state liquor commissions. Virginia, for instance, can't turn a profit selling booze... NH manages to.

I strongly suspect it's because ME, VT and MA tax theirs so heavily that they drive business into NH. Without that, I think they'd not be profitable either.

Free libertarian

Quote from: highline on July 11, 2010, 05:42 PM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on July 08, 2010, 11:54 AM NHFT

Which one?  North or southbound.

Don't you dare drink and drive...  but if you do, buy it from us, either side of the damn highway.

Which one? Good question. Both have excellent visibility.    Either would be a good place to redress grievances or hold signs so that passing cars could honk their approval.   
The nice thing is if one side gets say several hundred people redressing  grievances, there is always room for chickens to cross the road and start clucking to end prohibition on tother side. 

There are lots of places videographers could record from a distance.   Plus if people wanted to they could go inside the stores and shop.  Some people like to shop for a long time as the state has no laws that I know of that prevent people from taking their time shopping.  I wonder how many people would fit in one of those stores before it becomes a fire hazard?  I wonder if it is illegal to sing songs or wear slogans on clothing that promote the ending of Cannabis prohibition in "public places" like liquor stores ?

I wonder if a liquor store is a "free speech zone" or not?    I wonder if the Governor believes people have the right to peaceably assemble and redress grievances or if he will send in men with guns and dogs to stop people from exercising their rights, you know "for the children"?  I wonder if he could be sued personally in that event?  I wonder how many separate trials that would be ?    I wonder if people will talk about this at Burning Porcupine, yep I'm full of wonder. 

Free libertarian

Well since nobody seems too enthused about protesting grab your bag of popcorn and watch this short clip.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7810

Free libertarian

Quote from: Free libertarian on August 03, 2010, 01:47 PM NHFT
Well since nobody seems too enthused about protesting grab your bag of popcorn and watch this short clip.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7810

Disclaimer - Um that link wasn't the one I wanted to put out there.  Some real "interesting" perspectives though from the legal it and tax it crowd.  Sigh.     

Russell Kanning

I would like to join you in this idea.

Choose a day and run with it ..... see who joins you.

This could be as safe or confrontational as each person wants to make it.

How about greet people on their way up to the lake on friday or saturday

we could tell the media about it ahead of time and make it a big party

Lloyd Danforth

The inbound side, late afternoon when NH residents are returning from their jobs to the South.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 05, 2010, 07:08 AM NHFT
I would like to join you in this idea.

Choose a day and run with it ..... see who joins you.

This could be as safe or confrontational as each person wants to make it.

How about greet people on their way up to the lake on friday or saturday

we could tell the media about it ahead of time and make it a big party

I'm liking your response, Russell.    Media?  Good idea.   Lots of cameras are always useful.

Anybody else feel like an August  "redressing of grievances"   is in order? 

I'm thinking  Friday 8/20   in the afternoon.     420 ON 8/20?  Has a certain ring to it.

There must be lots of other people out there with some thoughts.   Let's talk it up folks!