• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

City of Detroit - Blight Violation Notice

Started by magnetic, July 30, 2010, 03:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

magnetic

Hi everyone, I just joined FSP yesterday and thought I would have a chance to introduce myself before something like this came up, but lo and behold I received a notice from the City of Detroit.  It is a Blight Violation Notice, according to ยง 9-1-104 of Chapter 9 ... as follows:

"All premises + exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds + plant growth in excess of eight inches." (this is from the ticket)

I've lived in the city since 2005, I bought the property cited in the ticket for $1400 and have been fixing it up (it is currently vacant).  I have kept the house secure but I do not cut all of the grass around it.  My neighbor has been kind enough to mow the grass in front of the house.  So the grass on the side (I own 4 feet on each side and one of those is paved) must be the offending grass/weeds/whatever, unless the inspector was peeking into the back yard.

I might go to court and challenge the "notice", but I haven't decided on what I would say yet.  I think a good argument would be that the grass on the side of my house is "natural landscaping."  On the other hand, I am considering civil disobedience, which might end in the house being taken away if I refuse to pay.  I haven't looked into whether it would lead to a lien on the property or confiscation from my bank account (not that I would give them that information).  Any ideas?  A hearing is set for August 11, I am guessing that is when I must make a plea.

A friend of mine sent the following link of a guy who fought a similar ordinance and won:

http://pleasewaitsearch.com/se.php?aid=NW5pcDNy&ver=&qk=jason%20rohrer%20grass%20violation%20court%20&rn0.07227157793716299=0.7251095423105445&or=http%3A//www.northcountrynotes.org/jason-rohrer/natureOnTrial/documents/rohrer_memorandum.pdf

Oh, and you have to understand how ridiculous this is coming from the City of Detroit, the number one owner of "blighted" properties here!

Lloyd Danforth

Welcome to the forum. Why not just move to NH? You can do civil disobedience where it might count.

magnetic

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on July 31, 2010, 05:58 AM NHFT
Welcome to the forum. Why not just move to NH? You can do civil disobedience where it might count.

That's why I just joined FSP!  :)

I had been mulling joining for several months, and this latest abuse pushed me over the edge.  I had just come back from renewing my plates when I got the notice in the mail.

Oh, and the fine is $50 plus a $10 "state justice assessment" plus a $20 "city administrative fee", reduced by 10% if paid before the hearing date and increased 10% after the date.

My initial reaction was to fight it (that's my educational indoctrination kicking is; a gut reaction that the legal system works)... but after some thought the only principled thing to do is to ignore it.  PAUL GRAY (the official whose name is on the ticket) is not my ruler, nor is the City of Detroit and I am not giving them anything.  I am not paying my property taxes anymore.  I can't justify handing my money over to the people responsible for opressing me, I have more dignity than that.  If they end up "pointing the gun" at me, they will be the ones whose position is, on its face, immoral.

So about FSP, my move date is currently the beginning of 2012, but I am going to do all I can to move that date up.