• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Networking Site Subscription

Started by Lex, August 02, 2010, 09:23 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

Lex

Quote from: AntonLee on August 05, 2010, 10:48 AM NHFT
the first option is almost right.

Would you be willing to provide a reason?

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 05, 2010, 08:56 AM NHFT
Also, the implementation of ripple that made it live was not p2p, it was centralized. The system I would build into the networking site would also be centralized. This was possibly what the author referred to when he said that there wasn't any adoption. I think he wanted people to start using the p2p aspect of the system and most people prefer just going to a website.

I think ripple has to start as a website and make it easy for people to do transactions. Then once more and more websites spring up allowing people to receive and make payments it can start to become decentralized. Trying to push decentralization from the start I think is just too much.

If it doesn't start as decentralized, then it is vulnerable to attack (just talk to Bernard von NotHaus). Its not worth my time to even start using it if it isn't decentralized.

That being said, you can have an initial centralized entry portal, especially with a group like us. The website should just be a way to get hooked up though - a place to download the software and learn how to use it.

Lex

Quote from: Ron Helwig on August 06, 2010, 07:50 AM NHFT
If it doesn't start as decentralized, then it is vulnerable to attack (just talk to Bernard von NotHaus). Its not worth my time to even start using it if it isn't decentralized.

That being said, you can have an initial centralized entry portal, especially with a group like us. The website should just be a way to get hooked up though - a place to download the software and learn how to use it.

I'm only one person. I would definitely interface with what Ryan has done with ripple distributed but I can't work on the website and pickup the ripple distributed code. Someone would have to encourage Ryan that this is not a lost cause. I'm hoping that by me making this website and people using it, it will encourage him to start working on the distributed aspect again.

Russell Kanning

i am with lex
besides .... he is doing it :)

BitCoinNick

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 03, 2010, 08:47 AM NHFT
Quote from: Terror Australis on August 02, 2010, 09:24 PM NHFT
Lex you should check out http://bitcoin .org as the payment system you are talking about already exists.It just needs  the rating/reputation implementation.Think of a currency that is distributed and has no central banking control,in effect everyone is their own bank and the payment system has no transaction fees.A distributed p2p reputation and rating system is sorely needed but you will probably find resistance from people who dont get what you are talking about.You really need to see bitcoin in action to understand the game changing aspect of it.

I did some reading about this and looked on the forum. I found this post that kind of scares me:

What happens when network is split for prolonged time and reconnected?
http://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=661.0

It seems that the answer to the above, according to posters on that thread, is that whichever part of the network is smaller loses all of their money!!!  :o That doesn't seem like a very robust monetary system.

I think the idea is really neat but a monetary system that relies so heavily on always being connected to the network and in fact causing you to lose all of your money if you're disconnected for an extended period of time just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Hi. I've been using bitcoin for about a month. I'm not a programmer or network expert, but I've been reading a lot.

A network split does not result in losing all of your coins. The bad thing about a split is that transfers that happened in the smaller group have to be re-processed after the network is reconnected.

That said, a network split is not something that just happens, it would require a massive clampdown on internet freedom. If one person in the split group can send messages to one person in the main group the network is not split.

I don't mean to derail this thread. If you have more questions people at the forums at bitcoin.org will be more than happy to help.

Terror Australis

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 07, 2010, 08:52 PM NHFT
i am with lex
besides .... he is doing it :)

I wish him well with the project and hope he can build something valuable.There are lots of people trying to find the best way to manage online reputation.Collaboration is a great way to speed up your project.

error

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 03, 2010, 11:47 AM NHFT
Theoretically you could even implement this system without computers, although it would be difficult it's not impossible.

Not difficult at all; it's been going on for centuries, and still is today. In fact, it's something that governments have been paying very close attention to because "the terrorists use it." Ripple is basically hawala ported to the Internet.

Now I like where a lot of these ideas are going, but I'm deeply concerned about having them implemented openly. Doing so is going to invite a significant amount of unwanted attention.

Russell Kanning