• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Oh, goody! Obama: "war ends by 8/31, right on schedule!"

Started by KBCraig, August 04, 2010, 03:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/08/02/president-obama-end-combat-operations-iraq-our-troops-while-our-country-has-sometime

QuoteAs a candidate for President, I pledged to bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end. Shortly after taking office, I announced our new strategy for Iraq and for a transition to full Iraqi responsibility.  And I made it clear that by August 31st, 2010, America's combat mission in Iraq would end. And that is exactly what we are doing -- as promised and on schedule.

I can't tell you how relieved I am. Since my oldest son is deploying to Iraq on the 20th, and his wife on the 25th, I'm thrilled that they'll only face a week to ten days of combat operations, followed by 11 months of a tranquil vacation along the Euphrates valley.

::)

FYI, even though I considered myself a Republican at one time, and vaguely supportive of GWB, I always opposed re-invading Iraq. It had nothing to do with 9/11.

Some of you met Nate at PF'06. I hope you can meet both him and Courtney soon, after this nonsense is over.

AntonLee

me too.  Let's hope he doesn't lie this one time about the date of ending the war.  I don't have a lot of hope

Free libertarian

KBCraig

You have to note his weasel wording: "America's combat mission in Iraq" will end. Not the combat, just the mission of combat.

While the "police mission" and "support of the Iraqi government" mission continue, there will be combat. It's just no longer the mission.

What an ass.

bil

Maybe it will become more peacable,sort of like a 'police action'.Sort of like the one we had in Korea almost 60 years ago,and we are still there.Tell your son and his wife to bring plenty of suntan lotion.And also tell them 'Thank You' from me.   ---bil

KBCraig

DavidForthoffer

How can we be at war in Iraq?

The U.S. Constitution says that only Congress can declare war, and they haven't.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A1Sec8

KBCraig

I repeatedly heard on the news today that this "milestone" had been reached, and that the last elements of the last U.S. combat brigade had officially crossed the border into Kuwait, ending the military mission ahead of the 8/31 deadline that was apparently an Obama promised deadline.

The mainstream media swallowed and then regurgitated this claim over  and over, without any verification or even clarification. None of the reporters bothered asking about the other military units that are still there, or those that are still deploying.

I've never followed anitwar.com, but thanks to whomever posted this link somewhere else.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/08/18/us-hypes-iraq-withdrawal-combat-to-continue/

thinkliberty

This is nothing but a PR stunt, nothing has really changed.

Quote"U.S. combat troops have completed their withdrawal from Iraq, where 50,000 American troops will remain... U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told MSNBC the end of Operation Iraqi Freedom is a "historic moment" but not the end of the U.S. mission in Iraq.

"We have a long-term commitment to Iraq," Crowley said.

The United States will have six brigades in Iraq by the end of August, the Post said. They will mostly be conventional combat brigades..."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/08/18/UPI-NewsTrack-TopNews/UPI-46311282183200/

MaineShark

That's unfair.

If you're killed by "combat troops," it's much worse than if you're killed by "transition troops." ::)

Joe

littlehawk

Quote from: thinkliberty on August 19, 2010, 08:35 AM NHFT
This is nothing but a PR stunt, nothing has really changed.

Quote"U.S. combat troops have completed their withdrawal from Iraq, where 50,000 American troops will remain... U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told MSNBC the end of Operation Iraqi Freedom is a "historic moment" but not the end of the U.S. mission in Iraq.

"We have a long-term commitment to Iraq," Crowley said.

The United States will have six brigades in Iraq by the end of August, the Post said. They will mostly be conventional combat brigades..."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/08/18/UPI-NewsTrack-TopNews/UPI-46311282183200/

yup! I saw right through that line of bullshit.

Kat Kanning

I was guessing they'd pull them out of Iraq and send them in to kill little Iranian kids now.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on August 19, 2010, 10:29 AM NHFT
I was guessing they'd pull them out of Iraq and send them in to kill little Iranian kids now.

That was my first thought too.  :'(

FreelanceFreedomFighter

Aw c'mon! Mission Accomplished! They've successfully poisoned Iraq with DU for a few million years... on to Iran!  >:D

( :soapbox: Just had a rather long drawn-out "disagreement" with someone who says that it's OK to speak out to stop going into war, but once the country is at war then everyone should be 1000000% - yep he said a million percent - supportive of the troops and the war. Naturally, I disagreed. While I can honor those who serve - even if misguided - that does not mean that I can't disagree, speak out, protest against, etc. the "war" that the State is waging... and I also don't agree that it is being waged in any way in "my name"! No effin way! The person I was "disagreeing with" thinks I should be tried - and convicted and murdered - for treason! )
him == :lockstep:   
me  == :angry4:

Kat Kanning

Quote from: FreelanceFreedomFighter on August 26, 2010, 08:43 AM NHFT
Aw c'mon! Mission Accomplished! They've successfully poisoned Iraq with DU for a few million years... on to Iran!  >:D

Someone sent me present-day photos of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.  Looks like other huge Japanese cities - tons of lights, crowded, etc.  The email was asking what happened to millions of years of radioactivity.  Didn't really know the answer to that.