• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Free Press

Started by Russell Kanning, October 25, 2005, 01:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We are starting a news and opinion related online publication here in Keene.
http://porcupinepartners.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Keene+Free+Press

Many of us have done what we can to "be the media". We send in letters to the editor. We contact media reporters.

A few of us have also proposed starting monthly newsletters or weeklies. I liked JPs idea for his Granite Porcupines printed newsletter, but that didn't actually happen. Caleb has talked about having a weekly, like the Hippo and that whole system. I think these ideas are good, but they haven't happened or might take a while because of the cost.

I am starting one online, because the cost is low. I will begin with only Keene news since that is all I think we can handle at present. So we can cover all that a local newspaper would (Keene, NH, US, and World news). Maybe down the road we could have other cities in NH covered also.

What I need help with is good content. If you write letters to the editor, send them to me and we will publish them. If you want to contribute weekly columns, we can offer you ad space (for your business or favorite group/ charity) on your page in exchange for your kind help. Your articles will be posted on the front page for a week and archived on your personal page from then on.

We will also try to cover community events in Keene and build up our own reporting staff for more extensive news. I will also be seeking out weather watchers and traffic and other condition reporters to keep people up to date on conditions.

Our current compitition is a standard newspaper (which requires a subscription for print copies and to view online) and a weekly "Monadnock Shopper" that has no web presence.

Anyone that wants to help can send article to me by email or this forum or can just post suggestions. :)

Kat Kanning

president

If I make a FSP related comic strip, will you publish it?

Dreepa

Quote from: russellkanning on October 25, 2005, 01:01 PM NHFT
We are starting a news and opinion related online publication here in Keene.
Many of us have done what we can to "be the media". We send in letters to the editor. We contact media reporters.

A few of us have also proposed starting monthly newsletters or weeklies. I liked JPs idea for his Granite Porcupines printed newsletter, but that didn't actually happen. Caleb has talked about having a weekly, like the Hippo and that whole system. I think these ideas are good, but they haven't happened or might take a while because of the cost.

I am starting one online, because the cost is low. I will begin with only Keene news since that is all I think we can handle at present. So we can cover all that a local newspaper would (Keene, NH, US, and World news). Maybe down the road we could have other cities in NH covered also.

What I need help with is good content. If you write letters to the editor, send them to me and we will publish them. If you want to contribute weekly columns, we can offer you ad space (for your business of favorite group or charity) on your page in exchange for your kind help. Your articles will be posted on the front page for a week and archived on your personal page from then on.

We will also try to cover community events in Keene and build up our own reporting staff for more extensive news. I will also be seeking out weather watchers and traffic and other condition reporters to keep people up to date on conditions.

Our current compitition is a standard newspaper (which requires a subscription for print copies and to view online) and a weekly "Monadnock Shopper" that has no web presence.

Anyone that wants to help can send article to me by email or this forum or can just post suggestions. :)

Great idea!

Dreepa

Quote from: president on October 25, 2005, 01:06 PM NHFT
Only if it is funny!

Russell Kanning

absolutely
You can even make fun of me.
You could even have a column.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Dreepa on October 25, 2005, 01:07 PM NHFT
Only if it is funny!
I am thinking about some sort of rating system, so that our favorite columnists/comics will have higher positions on the pages.

jgmaynard

I like that idea A LOT!!!!

That's about what I tried to do with KeeneNH.US but it never got to the point where I had news, etc.

I know George Phillies would be interested in participating once he gets up here....... That could be a huge resorce in itself.

You could probably get a lot of news from RSS feeds. No muss, no fuss.

I could probably contribute a weekly science column in exchange for advertisement......

JM

Kat Kanning

Hmm....do you want to have it on keenenh.us?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: jgmaynard on October 25, 2005, 01:31 PM NHFT
I like that idea A LOT!!!!
That's about what I tried to do with KeeneNH.US but it never got to the point where I had news, etc.
I know George Phillies would be interested in participating once he gets up here....... That could be a huge resorce in itself.
I could probably contribute a weekly science column in exchange for advertisement......
1-I was planning on asking you to help. Could you send me any links that you think would be useful?
I want to keep up with Keene politics maybe you could send along info that you hear. :)
2-posted it
3-Maybe we could link to article he is posting on national issues and help him transition to Keene life. ;)
4-That would be great. We could use a nice banner ad from you for your page. :)

Dreepa

There is a website out there that does ranking based upon user preferences... I am drawing a blank on the name right now.

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Dreepa

do you guys plan on getting keenefreepress.com or something?