• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Free Press

Started by Russell Kanning, October 25, 2005, 01:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

SECESSION?

Even running the article with the title: "Feds Surrender Building To NH Activists" would have been an improvement, although, sticking to local issues, at least in the first edition, would have been best.

Again, only if your intent was to get people to read it.

Kat Kanning

But Paul Ingbretson told me to put something contraversial on the front page to get people to pick it up.

Lloyd Danforth

I meant to add that some people might pick it up because of the WTF! factor.  Many who know what the word means will dismiss the publication as radical and/or sophmoric and not pick it up. Some not familiar might just say "Secession? What the hell does that mean?, oh! throwing snowballs!"  and take it home out of curiosity.

It is what it is.

You got it out.

frisco

Congrats on getting out your first print issue,  Kat and Russell!  The last PDF version you posted seems to have fonts embedded, 'cause it displayed fine for me.

I do think you should take Lloyd's words to heart for the future, unless you are only targetting the hardened activist.  Of course, that's just my opinion, and I've never been in the news business.

Kat Kanning

We're getting lots of people contacting us, excited about the paper, and we haven't even got the first one out yet.  Supposed to get it tomorrow.

Caleb

I'm very excited, but I wish we could just stick to boring topics like the Sentinel.  ;D  ;)

Russell Kanning

I think that people in our area know what the word secession means ..... and some like the idea. I have heard no bad comments from locals yet ..... but maybe I won't.
We are going to be passing them out a day or 2 early. :icon_motor:

KBCraig

Lloyd has a point, even if he's a little harsh with his delivery. You do need controversy, but you also need local interest for a local paper. You can print stuff that makes people bitch about the federal government, but they're more likely to get involved and do something at the local level.

News, especially local news, doesn't always cooperate with the publishing schedule. But I know there are some issues in Keene that are worth touching on, like off-street parking, the school building that hasn't been sold, under-21 drinking (it's a college town!), etc.

Good job, and good luck with it. I'm glad to see the low cost of printing, too. That's very doable for lots of locations.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

After this first issue, we'll get more local people writing in about local stuff.  We're already starting to get these stories in.

Pat K

I really like it, good job, this is the first try . I am sure it will only get better with experiance.

I am sure Lloyd is just being helpful in his own lovable way.

Maybe all that Snow shoveling has made him extra cranky.  ;D

Russell Kanning

We keep getting calls and emails ..... mostly from people that heard us on the radio and then went to the website.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on February 20, 2006, 03:30 PM NHFT
I really like it, good job, this is the first try . I am sure it will only get better with experiance.

Why do you always have to drag snow into the conversation?

Kat Kanning

Even people who read the <whisper> secession </whisper> story.

Russell Kanning

Locals also spend time talking about big issues outside of our area.

Pat K

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 20, 2006, 03:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on February 20, 2006, 03:30 PM NHFT

Why do you always have to drag snow into the conversation?

Hey I am just trying to fit in with you sick Snow Freaks.  ;D