• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Free Press

Started by Russell Kanning, October 25, 2005, 01:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Hey .... I have an idea. Maybe we could have some of our readers email the reporter about what the Keene Free Press is all about.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: katdillon on March 31, 2006, 10:20 AM NHFT
The Sentinel wants to talk to Russell about the paper  >:D

How interesting.. do you think they will run a story on the competition??

FrankChodorov

People are asking for the paper at shops and such, when they run out.

The Vermont Commons is distributed as an insert in the Vermont Guardian.

maybe you should approach the Manchester Union Leader?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 31, 2006, 03:20 PM NHFT

I guess so.

Kat Kanning

A hit piece, would be my guess.

FTL_Ian

As long as they spell the name of the paper right, all it will do is drive readers.  I hope they hit you hard, it will be the best thing that could happen to you this early on!

Kat Kanning

A hit piece would make them look pretty pathetic.

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: katdillon on March 06, 2006, 10:02 AM NHFT
In this issue will be:
( . . . )
Keene Taxi Deregulation

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Keene+panel+returns+cab+regulation+plan+to+council&articleId=e2dbb374-e891-44d3-959d-e35a9308abb6

Keene panel returns cab regulation plan to council

By FAITH SAWYER
Special to New Hampshire Union Leader

Keene ? A proposal to deregulate city taxi fares has advanced through a city council committee and will return to the full council for a final vote.

The planning, licenses, and development board split, 2-1, after a lengthy discussion Wednesday over regulating the two taxi services. City officials, cab owners and the public appeared equally divided on the issue.

?How presumptuous we are to think we can run a cab company better than a cab company,? said City Councilor Joseph Benzinski, a local business owner.

The board conferred over a possible regulated rate increase to reflect an inflated oil price since its last update in 2001, but settled on voting directly on whether the base cab fare should be regulated at all.

Steve Lindsey, a proponent for regulation, said local cabs provide a public service to a silent population that often is sick, poor, or handicapped.

Siding with Lindsey was Joan Copley, owner of Ideal Taxi, who attended Wednesday?s meeting but did not speak publicly.

?I consider myself a community-minded businessman,? said Peter Allen, owner of Adventure Limousine, speaking for deregulation. ?We are aware of our customers.?

The regulation initially was installed as a protection against price gauging for popular events or times in the city. About 30 percent of New Hampshire towns regulate cab fares, according to City Clerk Patricia Little.

Cities that regulate taxi rates include Concord, Manchester and Portsmouth.

The full city council will vote on an ordinance that would deregulate cab service at its next meeting in two weeks, Benzinski said.

tracysaboe

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 31, 2006, 03:20 PM NHFT

I doubt they think it's truly competition yet.

Tracy

Kat Kanning

I don't think it is, or will ever be competition.  It's too different from the Sentinel.

Lloyd Danforth

FTL_Ian

Quote from: katdillon on April 14, 2006, 05:22 AM NHFT
I don't think it is, or will ever be competition.  It's too different from the Sentinel.

Well, if you're a newspaper and they are a newspaper, you're competition.  How many other regular papers are there in town?

KBCraig

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 15, 2006, 12:33 AM NHFT
Well, if you're a newspaper and they are a newspaper, you're competition.  How many other regular papers are there in town?

Define "regular papers".

A free weekly and a subscription daily are not competitors. They can serve the same market simultaneously without costing each other readers.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

This may be true, but media competes for consumers AND advertisers.

Advertisers will only spend so much on media, so the KFP is competing with the Sentinel for advertisers, as well as other local meda, like radio and tv.  So yes, they are competitors.