• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene Free Press

Started by Russell Kanning, October 25, 2005, 01:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Braddogg

Quote from: russellkanning on July 21, 2006, 10:14 AM NHFT
Why can't you change column sizes in a word processor?

You may be able to, but not terribly easily.  And my suggestion is more along the lines of blocking the text.  For the size of the paper, the font and column width looks nice (as long as you're not cutting material for lack of space).  But what gets me is when someone has a piece that goes for one and a half columns.  I think that sort of thing would look better blocked as two even columns.  I noticed it in the LTE section this past issue especially, and there were some of the articles, too, that ran kinda funny.  I've got PageMaker on my computer, maybe I'll deconstruct and reconstruct the paper there over the coming week and let y'all have a look at what I'm talking about.

Pat McCotter

I like the way it looks. If you're taking a count, please leave it as is.

Kat Kanning

When I took a look at pagemaker, I found that it wouldn't run on my computer.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Braddogg on July 22, 2006, 02:38 AM NHFT
You may be able to, but not terribly easily.  And my suggestion is more along the lines of blocking the text.  For the size of the paper, the font and column width looks nice (as long as you're not cutting material for lack of space).  But what gets me is when someone has a piece that goes for one and a half columns.  I think that sort of thing would look better blocked as two even columns.  I noticed it in the LTE section this past issue especially, and there were some of the articles, too, that ran kinda funny.  I've got PageMaker on my computer, maybe I'll deconstruct and reconstruct the paper there over the coming week and let y'all have a look at what I'm talking about.

I think this is a good suggestion.  I'd like to see the difference.  Even column blocks would seem more newspapery.

Braddogg

Quote from: katdillon on July 22, 2006, 07:01 AM NHFT
When I took a look at pagemaker, I found that it wouldn't run on my computer.

Hmm, really?  That's too bad.  It's a nice program, I've found.

Kat Kanning

Nice.  We got a guy who wants to be a cartoonist for the paper.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: katdillon on August 02, 2006, 09:28 AM NHFT
Nice.  We got a guy who wants to be a cartoonist for the paper.

Got any samples?

Kat Kanning

He's sending me samples in a couple days.

Braddogg

I played around with the July 25 edition of the Keene Free Press a few days ago on Adobe PageMaker for fun.  I know Ian was interested in seeing how the KFP might look in PageMaker, and I hope you won't think I'm stepping on your shoes, Kat.  I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has; I'm going to be doing the layout for another paper once school gets back in session, and I want to hone my skills, so feedback from casual readers of newspapers as well as those more well-versed in the field would be much appreciated.  I've noticed three or four errors with images because I did not place them properly.  What do you think?

The PDF file can be downloaded by visiting this address (not a direct link to the PDF): http://www.uploading.com/?get=GYKDR99Y

KBCraig

Quote from: Braddogg on August 06, 2006, 01:42 PM NHFT
I played around with the July 25 edition of the Keene Free Press a few days ago on Adobe PageMaker for fun.

The blocking looks good, and makes it more readable.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

The blocking is a definite improvement.  The highlighted quotes look a little awkward, though I realize you just threw it together.

Also, that hosting site is quite annoying.

Braddogg

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 06, 2006, 03:48 PM NHFT
The blocking is a definite improvement.  The highlighted quotes look a little awkward, though I realize you just threw it together.

Also, that hosting site is quite annoying.

How do you mean by awkward?  The particular quotes used, the placement, the font, the premise?

FTL_Ian

Maybe placement and font, something didn't look quite right about them.  I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

Braddogg

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 06, 2006, 11:14 PM NHFT
Maybe placement and font, something didn't look quite right about them.  I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

Okay.  When you get a chance, I'd love to know in a little more detail what was off about them.  I've never used them before, and I was wondering how people would like them.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Braddogg on August 06, 2006, 11:19 PM NHFT

Okay.  When you get a chance, I'd love to know in a little more detail what was off about them.  I've never used them before, and I was wondering how people would like them.

Okay, looking at it again, I think they could use borders.  I feel like they dominate the page.