• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

It's a good day for me because I got carded for buying cigs!!!

Started by Raineyrocks, August 27, 2010, 02:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Isn't the stupid law if you look 27 or younger they card you?  Geesh, I was with Lil' Ricky and he's almost as tall as me, who the heck did they think he was?  Let's see............. 27 - 12 (Ricky's age) = 15.   Yeah, I guess it would be possible for me to have given birth to him at that age.

Pat McCotter

And in England there was this:

Tesco refused to sell wine to a suburban mother aged 46... in case she gave it to her 14-year-old

Staff at supermarket giant Tesco refused to sell wine to a mother - in case she gave it to her 14-year-old daughter.

Fraud investigator Karen Dumelow, 46, and her daughter Emily were at the check-out when a cashier said she could not serve her in case the wine was given to the youngster.

She had been about to pay for two bottles of white wine at the Portsmouth store while doing her weekly shopping with her daughter.

Mrs Dumelow said she spoke to three senior members of staff who agreed with the cashier who had wanted to see identification for the teenager.

But because Emily was unable to do so Mrs Dumelow was told she could not buy the wine.

She said today: 'The checkout assistant asked Emily for ID and I just told her that obviously she didn't have any because she is only 14 years old.

'I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was crazy. Do you have to leave your children at home if you want to buy alcohol now?

She was then forced to put aside the wine, pay for the rest of the shopping and then send off her daughter to the car before she could pay for the alcohol separately at the same till.

Mrs Dumelow, from Milton near Portsmouth, said today: 'The part that incensed me the most was that literally one minute later I bought the wine from the same till - it was unbelievable.

'All I had to do was send my daughter to the car and all of a sudden everything was OK.'

Raineyrocks

I know Pat, that has happened to me a few times while getting beer for Rick and I've had the older kids with me that had to show thier id. (is the i before the e in the word thier?  It doesn't look right to me)  It is so stupid!   I mean the "laws" not the i e thing.   Help, I'm going crazy!  :P

Oh my gosh, Brandie went to put beer in the cart one time and I thought the cashier was going to have a heart attack!  I can understand that the cashier is probably being watched and could lose her job if Brandie touched the beer but it's just these stupid controlling laws and policing of every little thing people do that drives me nuts.  Except of course today when I got id'ed for the cigs!  :D

My rebel put groceries in the car one time and I said, "You actually touched "the bottle"!"  She said, "Yup, I touched it twice just for spite."

AntonLee

this happened to me too when I was taking care of an ex's 10 year old.  I was buying some beer and the douche behind the counter told me I couldn't because I had an underage kid with me.  I was perplexed and asked him how I could get the beer?  He said to leave the kid in the car.  (unattended).

After I purchased the beer I told everyone in the store that I was going to give the kid a beer because of what had taken place.  I told them it was their fault.

of course, I didn't share the beer with the kid.  That's a waste of a good beer.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: AntonLee on August 27, 2010, 03:15 PM NHFT
this happened to me too when I was taking care of an ex's 10 year old.  I was buying some beer and the douche behind the counter told me I couldn't because I had an underage kid with me.  I was perplexed and asked him how I could get the beer?  He said to leave the kid in the car.  (unattended).

After I purchased the beer I told everyone in the store that I was going to give the kid a beer because of what had taken place.  I told them it was their fault.

of course, I didn't share the beer with the kid.  That's a waste of a good beer.

Isn't it so stupid?  Then if you leave a young kid unattended you could probably be charged with child endangerment or neglect!  What fuckerheads, I swear!  Excuse my language but it really pisses me off!  It's like these laws are being put in place to set us all up for one thing or another, isn't it?  Like, a big head game!

KBCraig

In Arkansas, most stores have signs up saying that if you point to, indicate, handle or touch any alcohol, and you can't prove you're 21, they won't sell to you or anyone with you.

I've been in the drive-through line when they've carded the entire car in front of me. I've wished they would try that with me when I have the kids with me. Although I suppose I should be even more insulted that they think there's no way the hot gorgeous 20 year old could be my date, so it's okay to sell to me.

When I pick up beer at the grocery store, about half the time I'll accidentally pick a line with a cashier who's under 21, so the line screeches to a halt until the supervisor comes over and logs in to scan the beer and put it in the cart. Yes, it's that ridiculous: the checkout clerk can't touch the products or even use the hand-held scanner to ring them up if it never leaves the cart. And the sackers can only handle it if it's in a bag so they can't see what it is.

toowm

Our kids will be bottling our incredibrew beer at the store in a couple of weeks.

NH is much more laid back on alcohol issues. Minors can check out your beer at the grocery (this surprised me after Illinois).

And you could buy cough syrup from the shelves until the #@&$ federal law changed.

I haven't been carded since I got here, although I'm plenty gray.

dalebert

I was trying to buy cigs for a cast member about a week ago and was worried about whether I had enough cash on me because I'd forgotten my wallet and couldn't get more cash or pay with a credit card.  I was so relieved when I realized I had more than enough cash to get everything as well as the cigs.  Then they carded me and of course, no wallet so no ID.  She said "I could lose my job".  Seriously?  Seriously?

This was Walmart.

dalebert

Oh yeah.  At Hannafords a couple weeks earlier, I was getting cigs for Wes just because he was low on cash and he was going to pay me back later (and did).  Anyway, it was quite obvious I was buying the cigs for him.  He picked them out and told me what to get and everything.  That time we both had ID on us and he's over 18 so I wasn't worried.  I figured they would card him, but no, they carded me.   ::)

Bill St. Clair

A couple of years ago, when I was 52 years old, I got carded at a MA supermarket while buying non-alcoholic beer. I complained, but showed my ID to the obviously-not-responsible-for-the-policy cashier.

I went back to the same place a couple of weeks ago. No ID required. Nice that some things sometimes get more sane.

jerryswife

Quote from: Raineyrocks on August 27, 2010, 03:08 PM NHFT
I know Pat, that has happened to me a few times while getting beer for Rick and I've had the older kids with me that had to show thier id. (is the i before the e in the word thier?  It doesn't look right to me)  It is so stupid!   I mean the "laws" not the i e thing.   Help, I'm going crazy!  :P

Oh my gosh, Brandie went to put beer in the cart one time and I thought the cashier was going to have a heart attack!  I can understand that the cashier is probably being watched and could lose her job if Brandie touched the beer but it's just these stupid controlling laws and policing of every little thing people do that drives me nuts.  Except of course today when I got id'ed for the cigs!  :D

My rebel put groceries in the car one time and I said, "You actually touched "the bottle"!"  She said, "Yup, I touched it twice just for spite."

It's "their," "i" before "e" except after "c" or in words sounding like "a" as in "neighbor" and "weigh," although it doesn't really sound like "a" in "their"....

I knew I was getting old, or at least looking my age when I stopped getting carded, very occasionally a cute young guy clerk will card me, and I always thank him profusely.

KBCraig

One place I buy beer occasionally, used to be very hardline about ages. The cashiers had obviously been brow-beaten to always ask for date of birth, which their registers prompted them to type in. They never actually asked for ID, though (from me, anyway, since I was already in my mid-40s at the time).

I made it a habit to make note of the date, subtract 21 years, and then give that as my birth date. About half would type it in without even thinking. Some would look puzzled, but not ask. And a couple gave me a double-take, and cracked up when I asked, "What? Don't I look 21?"

When I reached the age where my college diploma was old enough to drink, I decided I would rather go to the inconvenience of going to a different store, than produce ID for someone less than half my age.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on August 27, 2010, 09:44 PM NHFT
In Arkansas, most stores have signs up saying that if you point to, indicate, handle or touch any alcohol, and you can't prove you're 21, they won't sell to you or anyone with you.

I've been in the drive-through line when they've carded the entire car in front of me. I've wished they would try that with me when I have the kids with me. Although I suppose I should be even more insulted that they think there's no way the hot gorgeous 20 year old could be my date, so it's okay to sell to me.

When I pick up beer at the grocery store, about half the time I'll accidentally pick a line with a cashier who's under 21, so the line screeches to a halt until the supervisor comes over and logs in to scan the beer and put it in the cart. Yes, it's that ridiculous: the checkout clerk can't touch the products or even use the hand-held scanner to ring them up if it never leaves the cart. And the sackers can only handle it if it's in a bag so they can't see what it is.

Wow, it's crazy, isn't it?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: toowm on August 27, 2010, 10:58 PM NHFT
Our kids will be bottling our incredibrew beer at the store in a couple of weeks.

NH is much more laid back on alcohol issues. Minors can check out your beer at the grocery (this surprised me after Illinois).

And you could buy cough syrup from the shelves until the #@&$ federal law changed.

I haven't been carded since I got here, although I'm plenty gray.

The kids can't touch beer when I get it here in NH.   Hair dye is the answer for those pesky grays!  ;D   (That almost sounded like a commercial, didn't it?)

Raineyrocks

Since this is the "gloating and peppy" thread here I go again!   I got carded when I bought a bottle of wine today, Yay!   The manager even came over to look at my license to make sure it was me and kept looking and it wasn't because the cashier was young and he had to do it.

Brandie keeps saying I look younger when I don't wear make-up, maybe she's right.  :dontknow: