• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

mechanic needed

Started by Mike Barskey, September 15, 2010, 06:51 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Barskey

I am looking for a mechanic to work on my car and motorcycle (perhaps this is two different mechanics).

My motorcycle, a Honda Shadow V-twin 1100, had a lot of work done on it just before last winter and then was stored. Now, it sputters and backfires a lot when running. I'd like it to run smoothly. I thought it was a problem with the carbs not being synced, but I bought a carb sync tool and tried to adjust them myself and could not make it run better (but it's likely I just don't know what I'm doing). It also needs to be jumped each time I start it, but I think it's just because the battery can't hold a charge any more, having been ruined by my not using the bike for so long (i.e., if I purchase a new battery, I think it should work fine).

My car, a 2002 PT Cruiser, needs a tune-up. At least. I need the basic stuff done - change oil, check other fluids, tighten belts, check brakes, check filters, look at plugs - but I might also need more work done. My car recently overheated while driving, twice, even though the cooling system was full of both water and coolant; I think the thermostat might be intermittently sticking. Also, while driving I often hear a squeaking noise that seems to correspond to the speed I'm driving (i.e., it's related to the wheels) - I want this looked at. Also, I'd like the shocks and struts examined and possibly replaced - also, possibly, the engine mounts - but this I may only decide to do if I can afford it.

I'm not looking for free work (though it would be nice to have a discount for a fellow porc!). I want to pay for this work to be done. Please contact me if you can do this work (either the car or the bike or both) and we'll agree on a price and make arrangements for me to get my vehicle to you for a day (or maybe you come to me?).

Thanks!

Jim Johnson

Engine sputtering is a very common malady in seldom used vehicles.
Drain the gasoline tank and carburetor bowls, replace the gas with fresh gas and replace the battery.

Zoom Zoom

MaineShark

There's a good mechanic down here that I've been using.  But I bet you can find someone more local to you.  However, if you'd like, I can pass you his name/info.

Joe

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 15, 2010, 09:08 PM NHFT
Engine sputtering is a very common malady in seldom used vehicles.
Drain the gasoline tank and carburetor bowls, replace the gas with fresh gas and replace the battery.

When I stored the bike I put fuel preservative stuff in it, but this is easy enough to try so I'll try it. Thanks, Jim. I'll let y'all know if it solves my problem.

Quote from: MaineShark on September 15, 2010, 09:59 PM NHFT
There's a good mechanic down here that I've been using.  But I bet you can find someone more local to you.  However, if you'd like, I can pass you his name/info.

Yes, please, Joe. If you trust him (for good work and liberty-friendliness) and if I can afford him, I could bring my car there.

MaineShark

Quote from: Mike Barskey on September 16, 2010, 05:48 PM NHFTYes, please, Joe. If you trust him (for good work and liberty-friendliness) and if I can afford him, I could bring my car there.

I haven't discussed politics with him (other than the standard gripe about the government being a bunch of crooks, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in NH who wouldn't make that complaint).  He's definitely on the pro-gun side, but I don't know how far along.

I've had him do about a grand in work on my truck, since I've been using him, and I haven't been disappointed in the quality of any of it.  On occasion, he's gone out of his way to notify me of things that were less expensive ways to solve particular problems.

I'll shoot you his contact info in a PM.

Joe

CurtHowland

Is that mechanic anywhere near Manch?

MaineShark

Quote from: CurtHowland on June 29, 2011, 06:33 PM NHFTIs that mechanic anywhere near Manch?

I think 45 minutes to an hour, depending upon where in Manchvegas.

Joe

CurtHowland

While that might save some money, I have to get this car done ASAP. I only get to see my kids twice a year, so I have to drive to NC on Friday next week.

There's a Bob and Son's not far from Church of the Sword, that's at least convenient.