• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Famous Liberty Quotes from Shorty Dawkins

Started by AlanM, March 10, 2005, 10:32 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Here is one of my favorite quotes from Shorty Dawkins about liberty:
I'm not about to tell you what to do, and you better not tell me what to do.

Brilliant, don't you think?

Here's another: If you take my gun away, you'd best remember that I am a good shot with a bow and arrow.

AlanM

From Shorty:

The only valuable thing I learned from public schools is, that there ain't nothin' valuable to be leaned from public schooling.

AlanM

A gem of political wisdom from Shorty:

If there are 3 voters, and 2 vote for something that the third doesn't want, then the third voter will find something that 1 or 2 wants that is not good for the other, and they'll vote for that.

Shorty liked twisting things up like that.

AlanM

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on March 11, 2005, 08:42 PM NHFT
Could have sworn ah smelt the ghost of Shorty in a saloon somewhere in the middle of a Texas holdum poker game.? ?Gust o' wind blew open the door and then there was this stench way worse than 10 human farts going off at the same time.? What was his favorite drink anyway??

Shorty was mighty fond of hard cider. Made his own. Powerful stuff.
At a bar he'd order a Scotch, single malt preferably. Shorty liked quality in public, power in private.

AlanM

That fellow Whitey is slippery. The grapevine has it he hides in the ladies washroom at a certain University his brother was President of.

AlanM

Shorty had a serious side. Here is a little something I found in an old notebook of his:
An echo of things past. As the song of life renews itself among the discord of fallen dreams.

AlanM

There is a rumor going round that Shorty was NOT the one killed by the train from Millinocket. According to the rumor, Shorty planted his old pocketwatch on a hobo he found on the side of the tracks after the train had hit the hobo. It was the pocket watch that was used to identify Shorty. Some say Shorty wanted to go underground because the Feds were after him for taxes.

KBCraig

Rumor has it that when Shorty was travelling the country planting liberty trees, he wandered into the great southwest, where trees just can't be persuaded to grow. While he was there, he spent some time with Jeff Cooper, and picked up serveral valuable nuggets.

I think Shorty's favorite was this:

The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized.

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.

?Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle