• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What do you think about Ward Bird story?

Started by Kat Kanning, November 18, 2010, 02:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

There were three errors here.  The woman should not have gone past his signs.

He might have considered using a little more discretion enforcing his property rights.

He should not have been convicted of a crime, for essentially being an asshole while enforcing his property rights.

Moral of  the story, you don't own your property, trespassers aren't nice, being an asshole isn't nice and the state fucked up again, as usual.   

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Free libertarian on November 18, 2010, 03:09 PM NHFT
There were three errors here.  The woman should not have gone past his signs.

He might have considered using a little more discretion enforcing his property rights.

He should not have been convicted of a crime, for essentially being an asshole while enforcing his property rights.

Moral of  the story, you don't own your property, trespassers aren't nice, being an asshole isn't nice and the state fucked up again, as usual.

An excellent assessment, as I see it.  The man should not be in jail.

MaineShark

Gordon (the DA) is a total psycho.  Last I heard, she's facing a lawsuit for wrongful termination, after she fired one of her subordinates for obeying the law (and human decency) by honoring a defendant's request for exculpatory evidence.  (In layman's terms, she helped prevent Gordon from framing someone, so Gordon fired her)

Joe

KBCraig

Insane.

Even though he didn't violate the letter of the law, when he appealed to the state supreme court they view everything "in the light most favorable to the State", and set an impossibly high bar for reversal.

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2010/2010114bird.pdf

MaineShark

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on November 18, 2010, 07:32 PM NHFTHard to believe something like this happened in NH.

Not really.  They've been doing it for many years.  Particularly in Carroll County, given the massive corruption in the DA's office and State Police Troop E.

Joe

MaineShark

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on November 18, 2010, 07:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on November 18, 2010, 07:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on November 18, 2010, 07:32 PM NHFTHard to believe something like this happened in NH.
Not really.  They've been doing it for many years.  Particularly in Carroll County, given the massive corruption in the DA's office and State Police Troop E.
What have they been doing for many years? Can you provide some more details and links?

Exactly what they did to this guy.  Indicting without enough evidence to support the indictment by misleading grand juries, manipulating or outright destroying evidence, threatening witnesses, even attempting to intimidate defense counsel into conspiring with them.

As noted, Gordon fired one of her subordinates for attempting to reveal exculpatory evidence.  You can find that story in the Union Leader, June 18th of this year.

I'm looking at two signed statements by Gordon, which contradict each other, right now.

Joe

MikeforLiberty

I haven't hit the fine details yet but I'm going to guess that this goes to "NEVER TALK TO POLICE". Or his lawyers were incompetent.

There were a couple hundred supports at the farm for the WMUR news piece.

KBCraig

Fluff and Stuff

From what I've read. he did nothing morally or legally wrong; but, the lady on his property did things both morally and legally wrong.  And it seems, the cops, the prosecutor and the judge were all not in the moral right either.  Jailing someone for years for doing nothing wrong seems like a major moral issue.  And that is, even if Ward lied and the lady told the truth.  If Ward told the truth and the lady lied, in the best possible world, she would have paid him for damages.

MikeforLiberty

The news reports accurately about 100 people in Concord today. I found a FreeStater in the crowd that I had not met.

;D

MaineShark

The kids had an appointment with their pediatrician, which was scheduled months ago, so we couldn't stop in, but we did drive by when it was going on.  Truly impressive.

Joe

MikeforLiberty

Tried to include a picture in last post, how about this:

Kat Kanning