• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ridley house-sit & pay u

Started by Dave Ridley, November 28, 2010, 07:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I got an idea for efficiently helping activists...when I observed another activist's tough situation in 07. He had an empty house in Keene for a while and problems renting it to reliable people.  Then he had a chronically empty house in Florida with similar issues.

I generally have a flexible enough rent situation that I can temporarily relocate, without too much trouble.   This worked out well a while back when I more or less house-sat for an activist over a couple months.  The activist didn't pay me; I paid him - though not very much.   I got the benefit of a modest rent; he got the benefit of some income and a house-sitter with a known good track record.

It occurred to me that often there are houses sitting empty which activists vacate or buy in advance.  While they're empty they fail to generate revenue.  I'd be willing to occupy such a place for maybe a couple months if the price is low enough and the circumstance is right.  I guess the more work I need to do the less I would want to pay, and if it were a large amount of responsibility then maybe it would be appropriate to pay me instead.  But either way you get a little reliable caretaking and some revenue; I get cheap rent and variety. 

I wouldn't want to drive TOO far, but I'm willing to do this maybe even if it's out of state.

Although I'm always open to ideas, it's not always the right time or circumstance for me to do this. I just wanted to put the bug in everyone's ear and maybe at some point our interests will coincide. 

Shoot me PM here if you like, and I can give you a couple references of folks who I've done this for.  Obviously I have 7 years of what I hope is good reputation inside this movement; it's definitely not the same as dealing with random renters.   There have been cases where "non-liberty" renters refuse to leave and unfortunately the state law favors them for a while!  We can at least avoid this and hopefully work up some significant win-win.   

Russell Kanning