• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

To Grandmothers house we go

Started by Russell Kanning, December 07, 2010, 01:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Kat and I are visiting my Grandma for about a week.
She is really tired and might be ready to be done with this life.
My Mom and her sister are here and we spend all day long in her little apartment.
When I got here last night, she was awake, lit up when she heard and saw me, and wanted to hold my hand for awhile.

Tom Sawyer

Glad you are getting to spend time with your Grandma... I never knew my grandmothers very well... never met either grandfather.

The house is warm and the project is moving forward well.

Pat McCotter

I'm glad you are able to do this, Russell. I took my youngest son to visit my grandmother. She taught him how to play Canasta and he spent every waking moment playing with her. She went into the hospital soon after we left. My aunt and uncle said she kept talking about our visit.

In April, Gloria and I went to AZ to see my dad before he passed in May. Gloria was glad to have met him. His voice  on the phone just wasn't the same as meeting him in person.

Mike Barskey

I thought the way you said this was beautiful: "She is really tired and might be ready to be done with this life."

John

Sometimes I just don't know what to say.
It's nice that you all can be together. Too many people never get that last chance.

I hope everyone has a peaceful journey.

Pat K

Jacobus

I hope this is a time for peace and great meaning for all of you.

Russell Kanning

thanks guys
it is working out pretty well since my parents are just basically living here for a while, we are staying at my Grandma's little house.
My Grandma lives in an assisted living place with most of her things around her. She was telling me stories about pictures and crafts on the walls. it almost feels like her old house because of her old furniture and stuph.
They stopped doing chemo 3 weeks ago, so at least she is not on a bunch of medication. She is mostly sleeping today. She knows what is going on and can hear everything, sometimes you can't understand what she is saying though.
She is pretty relaxed and it is nice that some of her relatives can visit. My guitar-playing cousin just came in the door (he came up from Austin).
It doesn't look like we can come back saturday or sunday because of a big storm .... maybe later
I can just picture a cartoon with St. Peter greeting my Grandma as she heads up to the pearly gates. The caption says "We have a special wing in the mansion made just for nice ladies like you." So she will be well taken care of.

Russell Kanning

my Grandma died on Wednesday evening
when it was time to go to sleep she just stopped breathing
my mom and dad were in the apartment with her. Kat, my aunt and I had just left an hour before.
she was very tired the last 2 days and didn't talk with us the last day
she seemed to have stopped being connected to us and had better connections with those in heaven that day

now we are going to visit with relatives and talk about how wonderful my grandma was
we have a family service tonight and a funeral at her country church tomorrow
I will have the honor tomorrow of carrying my grandma to where I carried my grandpa to rest their bodies.
I have good memories of their little church and the nice little old ladies that filled the basement with good food each time I visited. I will experience them all again.

dalebert

Holding you in the light, as Friends say.  I know you will miss her.

cathleeninnh

Sincere condolences sent your way. May we all exit as peacefully.

Cathleen

Pat McCotter

That is a wonderful vision you painted for us, Russell. Thank you.

Becky Thatcher

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, Russell.  That is indeed a wonderful vision you painted for us...made me a bit teary-eyed.

Sunshine

I'm happy you were able to get away and spend time with her this last week.  Your timing is perfect. 

Tom Sawyer

I'm glad you got to help make your Grandma happy and all be together.  All the money in the world would not replace the love of generations of your offspring.