• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Security theater: 16 year old "gets it"

Started by KBCraig, December 22, 2010, 06:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I don't know if she intended to be so insightful, but she explains it perfectly.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101221/D9K8HTGG0.html

NEW YORK (AP) - Explosive snow globes? You've got to be kidding, Robyn Burford thought when security inspectors at the Portland, Ore., airport demanded she hand over her two glitter-filled souvenirs.

The snow globes might contain explosive nitroglycerin, an officer informed the 16-year-old from Houston. Instead of complaining, Burford did what thousands of other travelers are doing when confronted with pat-downs, body scanners and the other indignities of air travel this holiday season.

She bit her tongue and obeyed.

"I think we're actually getting used to the fact that we have to go through so much to go places," Burford said.

( . . . )

After relinquishing her two $6.95 snow globes, Burford discovered that the same snow globes were on sale at a gift shop beyond the security checkpoint. She replaced them - at a cost of $11.95 each.

Pat McCotter

QuoteOnce on board, air travelers appear to be behaving themselves.

I wonder if that is because the "miscreants" are finding other ways to travel ... or not traveling at all.

doobie

Don't they realize that if 20 people with 3.2oz of toothpaste got together, they'd have 64 oz of toothpaste!  Imagine that.... 20 terrorists getting together to bring 20 3.2oz packets of toothpaste through security...that would never happen! 

Airport security is such a farce.  People think they are safer when they are not safer at all; in fact they are probably less safe today than they were on 9/11/01.