• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Forum Rescue Conference Call Tomorrow Thu Dec 30 8PM EST

Started by George Donnelly, December 29, 2010, 04:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

George Donnelly

Some of us are holding a conference call tomorrow night, Thu Dec 30th at 8PM EST to discuss rescuing the canceled Liberty Forum.

If you'd like to join us, call in to    (661) 673-8600 and enter access code 242256#.

The goals are:

(1) Should we rescue Liberty Forum?

(2) If yes, how? Please prepare your ideas and be ready to pitch them.

(3) Decide what to do by simple consensus. If there are irreconcilable differences, that's cool too. There can be multiple events.

(4) Each of us takes responsibility for some aspect of the project.

(5) We meet again in 1-2 weeks.

My goal is to keep the call to 30 minutes.

Silent_Bob

I thought the Liberty Forum had a "Do Not Resuscitate" order in place.

Kat Kanning

BJ

Quote from: Silent_Bob on December 29, 2010, 05:53 PM NHFT
I thought the Liberty Forum had a "Do Not Resuscitate" order in place.

"Do not Republicanize (again)"

MikeforLiberty

Quote from: George Donnelly on December 29, 2010, 04:59 PM NHFT
My goal is to keep the call to 30 minutes.
Wow! When you dream you go BIG George!
On the other hand, you make shit happen.  :clap:

Mike

John

I'll save you the time of having me in on the call. I'm assuming that is helpful.
If I'm wrong just say so and I'll try to be back here before 8.

Peaceful Assembly Church (in Grafton) wants to have a table at the event. We will share the table with New Hampshire Free Press & Liberty Scholarship Fund.

Also, I'd say no paid speakers (speakers could request contributions/donations from their audience) and definitely do not turn it into a "political" event (not partisan, not bipartisan, not tripartisan, etc.).

Russell Kanning

also lots of plans can be made here to make the 30min goal happen

i kept driving past places yesterday that would be cheaper to rent than expensive hotel space :) like warehouses in nashua
what would be the cost to rent the peaceful assembly church sanctuary by the hour or day?

John

Just to throw out a round number, let's say that folks would be asked to donate 10 bucks each for the day (and if we went two days maybe throw in another five bucks each) or something like that.
If we are a small group we could just use the downstairs hall, and if we grow large enough we open up the sanctuary.

We might need some further help if something like snow is an issue. We might need to get someone to clear the entire (again depending on how big this gets) parking lot.

I've gotta run for now. I'll make a point of being back here before 8.

Jim Johnson

You shouldn't call it Liberty Forum.  If your going to make it yours, you should let people know it's yours.  That way the stink of past events does not attach it's self to your event... unless you intend to second hand off of the good things that other Liberty Forums have done.
You could continue AltExpo.  Just because Liberty Forum is not going on doesn't meet AltExpo can't be held... unless AltExpo is just a leach on Liberty Forum.
Since this is George's event, you should at least call it the George Donnelly Liberty Forum or 'GD Liberty Forum'.

George, instead of being an acid drag on the FSP, you could take the high road and make a competing organization.  That way you could show everyone how wonderful your ideas are.  Then you can be elected President of that organization and as your first act in office you can dissolve it... as is your wish in the FSP.

Tom Sawyer

Just my two cents from the fringe of the fringe over the edge.

Perhaps the whole model is a dinosaur. Maybe it's just because I spent years helping videotape libertarian conferences... but talking heads of the "luminaries" at a podium bore the shit out of me... That was all before the internet could disseminate information virtually instantly... you had to go to another city and spend hundreds of dollars for access to the latest.

Try examining the compelling part of getting together... make it so effort can replace money out of pocket...

At PorcFest the only "speech" I ever got excited to make time for was Russell and Lauren's tales of CD efforts... movers that had actually shaken things up. The political side probably could do the same thing rather than pay 10's of thousands for "celebrities".

George Donnelly

Thanks all for your suggestions, appreciate it! My own preference is definitely to make it a more egalitarian affair.

Jim, it's not my event. There are a bunch of us working on it.

I have no problem with building on the past good work of LF while leaving behind the things people do not like. I have no problem using the same name. Nobody owns the name.

AltExpo is not my project but I support it. Jack and company do excellent work there.

What's an acid drag?

I already did create an event that I hope will be more productive and attractive than previous conferences: Agora I/O http://Agora.IO

I have sworn off elections and presidencies for some time now.

I do not wish to dissolve the FSP community. I work to strengthen individuals and communities and weaken corporations and states. I work to get the truth out there about all of the above. If you're unhappy with my comments or actions wrt to the FSP inc, I'm open to discussing them at any appropriate forum or time.

John

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 30, 2010, 07:39 AM NHFTi kept driving past places yesterday that would be cheaper to rent than expensive hotel space :) like warehouses in nashua

Yea, some of those old mill buildings are fixed up and just crying out for someone to use them.

John

I'm there ...1st caller... and on hold waiting for next caller to arrive.

Russell Kanning

i joined the conversation for a few minutes
i am confident that the guys will be able to come up with something
i had to hang up when a guy mentioned other churches, masonic lodges and vfw's .... when the subject of john's church came up
i figure those guys are not our greatest allies and not in the same league with the peaceful assembly church.