• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I am curious.

Started by bwirth1999, January 13, 2011, 11:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

bwirth1999

As you can see, I am a brand new forum member.  I also will be a brand new... New Hampshire resident around June 2011.  I love the freedom that this state allows, but I also am curious about some things I have seen here so far.  I am a resident of Florida currently, and it would seem as though tolerance for disobedience in NH is very high compared to FL.  It also would seem there are a large number of people who are....well... disobedient.   Why do you do this?   While the law states you don't have to give more than your name and residence in many cases, why not just give them  the information they ask for?  It would seem to be less hassle and make the officers job much easier, and you can go about your day without wasting the time it took to argue with him. 

Maybe I am missing something here.   Should I change my way of thinking when it comes to things like this?   

When I watch these videos if reminds me of a bunch of adolescent kids arguing with their parents over something petty that really shouldn't have been an issue to begin with! 

Please don't take anything I have said as insults or "trolling".   I am truly curious, and want to make sure I understand how things work once I am there.

Lloyd Danforth

Everybody that comes here does their own thing.  There is no law that says you have to give your name or residence or provide any ID at all if you are not operating a motor vehicle.
Many here correctly believe that cops and other bureaucrats have no moral authority over them and act accordingly.

KBCraig

Quote from: bwirth1999 on January 13, 2011, 11:06 AM NHFT
As you can see, I am a brand new forum member.  I also will be a brand new... New Hampshire resident around June 2011.

Welcome! What brings you the forum? And to New Hampshire? (I'm not physically there yet, but it's home.)

QuoteWhen I watch these videos if reminds me of a bunch of adolescent kids arguing with their parents over something petty that really shouldn't have been an issue to begin with!

Lots of people feel the same way. It starts out as no big deal, but sometimes the cops just won't stop arguing for things they have no legal right to demand.

Oh, wait.... you had the "parents" and "adolescent kids" reversed in your thinking, didn't you?

MaineShark

Quote from: bwirth1999 on January 13, 2011, 11:06 AM NHFTIt would seem to be less hassle and make the officers job much easier...

And that, there, is more than enough reason not to.  If something will make a scumbag's life easier, that's a good reason not to do that thing.

Joe

Russell Kanning

when the cops start arguing with us things will be a lot better

i think there is a thoreau quote that fits well here too

John

Speaking of Thoreau; I like the short version of his original title to his essay which was later called "Civil Disobedience." I think the title "Resistance to Civil Government" is more instructive.

I try to, and wish more people would use the title "Resistance to Civil Government.".

MaineShark

If the government was actually civil in its behavior, I would resist it less :)

Joe

littlehawk

Ask any good? lawyer and they will tell you to never to speak with a cop.

Free libertarian

If you stand they want you to bow.  If you bow they want you to kneel.  If you kneel they want you to lie down.   Arbitrary power is rarely satisfied.

Plus a little civil disobedience can be very satisfying....just this morning I tore the "do not remove" tag off my mattress.  Shhh.   ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Free libertarian

...an undisclosed safe house location for wayward middleaged men.

Pat McCotter

One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in. "Master," he said, "let me put my nose in your tent. It's cold and stormy out here." "By all means," said the Arab, "and welcome" as he turned over and went to sleep.

A little later the Arab awoke to find that the camel had not only put his nose in the tent but his head and neck also. The camel, who had been turning his head from side to side, said, "I will take but little more room if I place my forelegs within the tent. It is difficult standing out here." "Yes, you may put your forelegs within," said the Arab, moving a little to make room, for the tent was small.

Finally, the camel said, "May I not stand wholly inside? I keep the tent open by standing as I do." "Yes, yes," said the Arab. "Come wholly inside. Perhaps it will be better for both of us." So the camel crowded in. The Arab with difficulty in the crowded quarters again went to sleep. When he woke up the next time, he was outside in the cold and the camel had the tent to himself.

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat McCotter on January 15, 2011, 05:52 AM NHFT
One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in. ....

Maria Muldaur - Midnight At The Oasis (1974)

dalebert

The moral of this story is "OMG!  A TALKING CAMEL!"