• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A warning - 50 years ago today

Started by John, January 17, 2011, 01:13 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John

And what has happen since?
It is FAR, FAR, Far worse, I'm afraid.
And so, what will we do now?

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex.

Russell Kanning

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John on January 17, 2011, 01:13 PM NHFT
And what has happen since?
It is FAR, FAR, Far worse, I'm afraid.
And so, what will we do now?

Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex.

Wow, so was Eisenhower a good guy, so to say?  I guess his warning got ignored even back then before the military industrial complex had all the power it has today?  :-\   

John

Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 20, 2011, 07:59 AM NHFT, so was Eisenhower a good guy, so to say?

No. Among many many other bad things, he helped create the miltary monster he then warned about.

It seems to me that each president is worse that the one before, so he's not as bad as some, but he's worse than most.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John on January 20, 2011, 04:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 20, 2011, 07:59 AM NHFT, so was Eisenhower a good guy, so to say?

No. Among many many other bad things, he helped create the miltary monster he then warned about.

It seems to me that each president is worse that the one before, so he's not as bad as some, but he's worse than most.

Wow, I should've known there couldn't be a good one.  :-\    Why did he warn people if he went ahead and created it?  I swear sometimes they like to flaunt things in our faces.

Thanks for the info!  :)

Lloyd Danforth

Perhaps he became frightened of the monster he helped create.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 20, 2011, 06:06 PM NHFT
Perhaps he became frightened of the monster he helped create.

Oh, so that warning was after?

John

He helped create it and then warned of it on his way out the door.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John on January 20, 2011, 06:21 PM NHFT
He helped create it and then warned of it on his way out the door.

How typical!  ::)

MaineShark

I think he was upset that it was going in a direction other than what he wanted.

He wanted it to oppress those people, not these people, but others had different ideas, so he pouted.

He wasn't good; he just wanted to do different evil.  When he couldn't get his way, he tried to make a scene.

Joe

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on January 20, 2011, 06:33 PM NHFT
I think he was upset that it was going in a direction other than what he wanted.

He wanted it to oppress those people, not these people, but others had different ideas, so he pouted.

He wasn't good; he just wanted to do different evil.  When he couldn't get his way, he tried to make a scene.

Joe

Typical again!  He sounds like a power hungry little baby. 

John

littlehawk

Every Prez knows the elite agenda. JFK got his head blown off for trying to kill the monster.

MaineShark

Quote from: littlehawk on January 20, 2011, 07:20 PM NHFTEvery Prez knows the elite agenda. JFK got his head blown off for trying to kill the monster.

JFK was a power-hungry madman, just like every other one of them.

Joe

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: John on January 20, 2011, 06:42 PM NHFT
War - What is it good for?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKAX7Jp8wo&feature=related

There are lots of alternate versions on Youtube that include video, such as:

"War" by Edwin Starr (Original Video - 1969)

But as we all know, the title of that song was actually the original draft title of War and Peace. From Seinfeld Scripts http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheMarineBiologist.htm

Elaine: Oh! Don't you know what this means, it's like working with Tolstoy!

Jerry: Hey ya know what I read the most unbelievable thing about Tolstoy the other day, did you know the original title for "War and Peace" was?  "War--What Is It Good For?"!

Elaine: Ha ha.

Jerry: No, no.. I'm not kidding Elaine it's true, his mistress didn't like the title and insisted him change it to "War and Peace"!

Elaine: But it's a line from that song!

Jerry: That's were they got it from!

Elaine: Really?

Jerry: I'm not joking!

Later in episode:

(In the limo Elaine, Lippman, and Testikov are talkin')

Lippman: We have got you in a very nice hotel, I don't know how you like to work but I can arrange for an office if you want.

Testikov: I will work in hotel...much better. I will work away from all the penny bickering and interference.

Lippman: You know Tolstoy use to write in the village square. The faces inspired him.

Testikov: He didn't need any inspiration....God spoke through his pen.

Elaine: That is so true! Although one wonders if "War and Peace" would have been as highly acclaimed as it was if it was published under it's original name "War---What Is It Good For?"

Lippman: What?

Elaine: Yes. Mr. Lippman. It was his mistress who insisted he called it

"War and Peace." "War--What Is It Good For."(sang) Absolutely nothin'! (spoken to Testikov).  That's the song that they got from Tolstoy.

Lippman: I'm sorry, it's just her sense of humor.

I recently met Sergio Tolstoy, one of about 200 great grandchildren of Leo Tolstoy.  He's a pretty colorful guy and so I came up with the idea of having him put some kind of gag autograph on the jacket of a War single, but unfortunately, a record collector friend of mine said that the American release did not come in a photo jacket like this British release did, so I haven't found one yet.