• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Social Security Card Burn can we make a difference

Started by Tom Sawyer, November 07, 2005, 09:35 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Dreepa on November 09, 2005, 07:20 AM NHFT
Ian why would you want to protest the protest? (That I don't understand).

That's *IF* I were to show up.  I'd just simply protest in favor of industry's use of RFID and tell anyone who asked that government shouldn't be using RFID, but I don't care if industry does.

president

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 09, 2005, 11:04 AM NHFT

That's *IF* I were to show up.  I'd just simply protest in favor of industry's use of RFID and tell anyone who asked that government shouldn't be using RFID, but I don't care if industry does.
Thinking the government should not to use RFID is like thinking the government not to use computers, radios and telephones....or any other peice of modern technology.

FTL_Ian

Hmm.. banishing the govt from using modern technology?  Now that sounds like a law I could get behind!   ;D

Lloyd Danforth

We're going to have to protect ourselves from RFID's being used against us.

Dreepa

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 09, 2005, 11:04 AM NHFT

That's *IF* I were to show up.? I'd just simply protest in favor of industry's use of RFID and tell anyone who asked that government shouldn't be using RFID, but I don't care if industry does.
Just a couple of things:
1.  Katherine has asked Walmart to not use RFID on consumer products.  AND it they did she is asking for disclosure to customers.  She does NOT want to get the government involved.
2.  What if the govt wants to use the info from Walmart against you?

You can be a capitalist and still think that big business does some shitty things.

FTL_Ian

Of course I can.  I just don't think RFID is a shitty thing.  It's pretty damn cool.

Yes, if government gets involved, it can be shitty, but that's when the protest should happen, IMO.

Dreepa

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 09, 2005, 02:16 PM NHFT
Of course I can.? I just don't think RFID is a shitty thing.? It's pretty damn cool.

Yes, if government gets involved, it can be shitty, but that's when the protest should happen, IMO.
So we shouldn't protest companies? ???
I hate Nike I won't buy Nike.  Consumer pressure is the best way to get companies to change... NOT thru regulation.

Also lets say that Walmart has the best intentions?
I worked on an RFID program once... it is cool... but.... ( have Katherine on your show-- worse case you can debate her)
Then Govt gets all the records (because with the Patriot Act they can)
How are you going to protest that?  It is already too late.

FTL_Ian

Sure, protest companies if you like.  Personally I've never hated a company enough to protest it.  I'd just rather stop shopping there and perhaps talk about how crappy they are on my show.

My time is limited, so I'd rather spend time protesting the coercive state instead of a voluntary company.

In regards to your final question, there are lots of terrible things the govt does and they deserve to be protested against, even after the fact. 

Really, should we protest every business that collects personal information because there's a chance that they might turn the info over to the govt?

Russell Kanning

I don't "protest" companies I don't like. I just don't use them and tell others.
Maybe if Walmart was actually doing something horrible.

Do we protest banks because they share info with the government?

Dreepa

I think you guys are missing the point.

Check out Katherine's book or website.

RFID makes it sooooooo much easier for the Govt to collect info on you.

Trust me I am not the protesting business type.   But I figured that you guys would also realize that getting the word out is a way to inform people about RFID.  I don't shop at Walmart they lose one customer... if I tell people they might lose more.

Tom Sawyer

pardon me for interrupting ;)

Here is the final print version... I'll have 3 of these available in addition to the one spoke for by Mike.
19in wide x 26in tall
Printed and I'll mount to a foamcore backing tomorrow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tom Sawyer

In addition I've printed

19 x 26
2 "Feel Like A Number"
2 "The Big Lie"

19 x 13
1 New Hampshire Underground

19 x 10.5
2 SS Cards

All to be mounted to backing tomorrow.

Altered "The Big Lie"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Scott Roth on November 09, 2005, 05:04 PM NHFT
That is really nice, Roger.

:)

If we can get everyone together for a grouping of signs, the burning of the cards, the pitch forked protestor, Lady Liberty etc...  should make for a fun scene and a good shot for us and the press. Need a picture to tell the story, we will make it.

Dave Ridley

80% chance I can be there!  I will however have no signs flags cards video cameras or anything.   Well I could bring a video cam if Roger isn't going to.  Lemme know on this thread if you are going to videotape this Roger...

Dave Ridley

BTW roger I liked your camera work on the porcfest video, the documentary moves, nice stuff.