• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Here's something I've been thinking about lately regarding gas prices and stuff

Started by Raineyrocks, January 19, 2011, 09:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Ok, this is the best way I know how to put it: I'm trying to make sense, sorry if I'm not.  I'm really dizzy because of my ear problems right now.

If I add a few certain ingredients into a crockpot I can create something called soup so I equate this to what's going on in the world and this is how:

If gas prices keep going higher, weird weather keeps destroying crops, and all of these birds, fish, now I think it's cows too keep dying, aren't these the makings for a recipe of a food shortage?

Raineyrocks

Mysterious yellowing affects 40,000 acres of Eastern Oregon; new problem feared

By MATTHEW WEAVER

Capital Press

The Oregon Department of Agriculture and Oregon State University are investigating the yellowing of upward of 40,000 acres of wheat in Umatilla and Morrow counties.

So far, the cause is a mystery, and researchers do not know if the problems in the two counties are related.

In early November, Umatilla County growers noticed wheat fields turning yellow and dying, OSU Extension soil scientist Don Wysocki said.

Sixteen fields from three to 10 miles northwest of Pendleton were affected, Wysocki said. They are "more or less but not completely contiguous," he said. Not every field in the area was affected.

The area was predominately planted to soft white Clearfield variety ORCF-102, but other varieties were also affected, Wysocki said.

"There's probably more than one thing going on in these particular fields, like in any field," he said.

OSU Morrow County Extension associate professor Larry Lutcher said 30,000 to 40,000 acres of wheat in his county have plants with yellow or purple tips. The discoloration spreads inward and downward on the leaf. In some cases, plants are completely desiccated and will not recover.

The symptoms have been observed in many fields in the county, Lutcher said, but do not appear tied to any particular location.

"Most of the symptoms in Morrow County are unlike anything I have ever seen," Lutcher said.

Lutcher said he doesn't believe the problem will spread to other fields, but he can't be certain.

"This does appear to be a new problem -- a problem that no one seems to have experience with," he said.

Neither Lutcher nor Wysocki were sure if the circumstances in the two counties were connected.

"The big question on everyone's mind right now is, how will the crop look this spring and will replanting be necessary?" Lutcher said.

Oregon Department of Agriculture Special Assistant to the Director Brent Searle said the department was contacted by farmers in early November.

The department sampled and tested the fields, but final results are not yet in.

Preliminary samples showed some root pathogen issues, but Searle said the investigation is still in the information-gathering stage.

The department and university sent surveys to growers asking about field history, planting dates, chemical use and where seed was purchased. OSU also examined nearby fallow land to see if it was similarly impacted.

The information may help identify common factors or patterns, Searle and Wysocki said.

In Umatilla County, the patterns are oriented across the fields, with "shadow effects" suggesting protection in areas behind slopes or fence rows, Wysocki said.

But the patterns of the die-off aren't typical of anything anyone has seen before, Searle said.

"The weather's been really weird this year and there was a tight planting window, and then temperature swings and rains and the grain jumped real fast in growth," he said. "It could be a whole combination, perfect storm kind of thing. We're just trying to sort it all out right now."

Most growers in Umatilla County were replanting their fields, Searle and Wysocki said.

Replanted acres aren't expected to have a problem, Wysocki said, "but we can't rule that out."

http://www.capitalpress.com/orewash/...20310-w-AK-map

Lloyd Danforth

I'm not sure about what, if anything, nature is going to do to effect the food supply, but the escalating cost of fuel will.  Food production is very dependent on fuel.  Almost all of the food we eat in New England comes to us by trucks.  Increases in fuel costs are going to have an effect on the availability and cost of food, everywhere.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 19, 2011, 10:34 AM NHFT
I'm not sure about what, if anything, nature is going to do to effect the food supply, but the escalating cost of fuel will.  Food production is very dependent on fuel.  Almost all of the food we eat in New England comes to us by trucks.  Increases in fuel costs are going to have an effect on the availability and cost of food, everywhere.

Yup!  I've been trying to buy extra things like toilet paper, canned goods with long expiration dates, and other things before the prices go sky high.  I talked to the older kids about doing the same thing and to pay attention to what's flying off the shelves at the supermarket.

I noticed that the price of butter went up about 80cents and there were only a few 4pks of butter left, this was a few weeks ago so imagine how much worse it's going to get.  :-\

cathleeninnh

Fuel cost is still lower here than in the rest of the world. That is because the dollar is still the reserve currency and we can still print money with abandon. If the dollar is ousted(likely), our printing of money would immediately jump the price of gasoline and everything else. The S is about to HTF.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

I just think stuph will get more expensive.
They are pumping oil out of the ground in OK and Texas as fast as possible ..... and drilling everywhere.

Lloyd Danforth

I stopped in a gas station the other day handed the clerk a bill and asked for 5 bucks worth of gas.

He farted and handed me a receipt.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: cathleeninnh on January 20, 2011, 01:51 PM NHFT
Fuel cost is still lower here than in the rest of the world. That is because the dollar is still the reserve currency and we can still print money with abandon. If the dollar is ousted(likely), our printing of money would immediately jump the price of gasoline and everything else. The S is about to HTF.

Cathleen

Yup, I think it may be that time of course I hope not though.  :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 20, 2011, 04:03 PM NHFT
They are pumping oil out of the ground in OK and Texas as fast as possible ..... and drilling everywhere.

True, there's plenty. they are just looking to bring people to their knees financially and in so many other ways too.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 20, 2011, 04:10 PM NHFT
I stopped in a gas station the other day handed the clerk a bill and asked for 5 bucks worth of gas.

He farted and handed me a receipt.

:laughing4:

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 20, 2011, 06:00 PM NHFT

True, there's plenty. they are just looking to bring people to their knees financially and in so many other ways too.

It's not so much that there is plenty in Texas & Oklahoma, but at increased prices for oil it is worth it for them to use energy to suck it from the depths.
Where it is plentiful it is probably coming to the surface on it's own.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 20, 2011, 06:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 20, 2011, 06:00 PM NHFT

It's not so much that there is plenty in Texas & Oklahoma, but at increased prices for oil it is worth it for them to use energy to suck it from the depths.
Where it is plentiful it is probably coming to the surface on it's own.

Huh?  I don't understand, sorry. :BangHead:   I think you used more words than Russell did and now I'm confused.

littlehawk

The feds are holding things up as long as they can. No one will be accepting the US dollar. If you have cash you'd best dump it. If you don't have a food stash you best use your credit card and get some. If you live in a big city you are screwed.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: littlehawk on January 20, 2011, 07:25 PM NHFT
The feds are holding things up as long as they can. No one will be accepting the US dollar. If you have cash you'd best dump it. If you don't have a food stash you best use your credit card and get some. If you live in a big city you are screwed.

It's looking that way, isn't it?  The thing I wonder about though is if you buy food and store it in your house that you owe a mortgage on what happens when you can't pay your mortgage?

littlehawk

Thats part of what some people call a "bug out plan". Have a place to go, a plan of exit (if needed) and some stash. It could be in a old trailer, your car or a shed. Or if you are lucky a friends house! LOL    {um scuse me, I have some steaks if you have a warm bed?)

Weapons and ammo are a must. If anything does happen your friend may want to kill you just to take your food to feed his family.