• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Julian H. going to trial on his jury outreach

Started by Free libertarian, January 19, 2011, 12:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

KBCraig

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/case-dismissed-against-jury-nullification-advocate/

April 19, 2012, 4:25 PM
Case Dismissed Against Jury Nullification Advocate
By BENJAMIN WEISER

A federal judge ordered the dismissal on Thursday of an indictment against a retired chemistry professor who had been charged with jury tampering for advocating the controversial position known as jury nullification while standing on a plaza outside the United States Courthouse in Manhattan.

The former professor, Julian P. Heicklen, had stood outside the courthouse holding a "Jury Info" sign and handing out brochures that advocated nullification, in which jurors who disagree with a law ignore their oaths and vote to acquit a defendant accused of violating it.

The judge, Kimba M. Wood of Federal District Court, wrote in a 27-page opinion that a person violated the jury tampering statute only when he knowingly tried to influence a juror's action or decision by means of a written communication made in relation to "a specific case pending before that juror."

The judge wrote that she would not "stretch the interpretation" of the statute to cover speech that was "not meant to influence" a juror's actions in a specific case.

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

KBCraig

From Facebook:

?"On Monday, April 23, 2012, I will be distributing jury nullification literature on the plaza in front of the U. S. Federal Courthouse at 500 Pearl Street, Manhattan, NY 10007, from 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm. You all are invited to join me. At 1:30 pm there will be a victory luncheon for everyone who wishes to attend at their own expense at one of the best Chinese restaurants in near-by China Town. Please send me your suggestion for which restaurant you prefer." - Julian Heicklen

Free libertarian

You gotta love this guy, AND he's even older than Lloyd!