• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Movie Night Previews

Started by dalebert, January 25, 2011, 08:28 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Lloyd Danforth

Pat K

It was a big hit Lloyd.
Everyone liked cutting the cheese.

Pat K

Thanks to every one for the birthday song
and cake and ice cream.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on May 09, 2012, 04:30 PM NHFT
It was a big hit Lloyd.
Everyone liked cutting the cheese.
It's nice to be in company that makes you feel free to do this.

Lloyd Danforth

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html

Ive been making cheese from the Basic hard cheese recipe. I buy a quart of buttermilk and freeze it in ice cube trays, and thaw them out as I need them to inoculate the milk. I use the cheapest store brand whole milk. The second time the curds didn't come out normal, I discovered one shouldn't use ultra-pasteurized milk. I bought some rennet from New England Cheese Making Supplies, but when I can find some vegetable rennet, I want to try it.

After I found out 'cheddar' is a verb, I started doing it (with the batch that you sampled) with the curds. It takes place between draining the whey and pressing the curds.

I use an old coffee can to press my cheese. I'm looking for  large pvc  fitting to replace the can. I knocked together a board with an upright secured to one end, at the top of which bolted a long horizontal which pivots. I made a follower to fit the can. I put the can with curds and follower (on a plastic coffee can cover with a drain hole) close to the pivot end with a stick pushing the follower and  a gallon of water on the far end getting about a three to one advantage.

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on May 10, 2012, 04:25 PM NHFT

After I found out 'cheddar' is a verb

I thought it was a town in England.  ;D

I've seen that page you linked, before. I need to give it a try. Everyone loves it when I make butter.

dalebert

Turns out butter is surprisingly easy to make.

KBCraig

Quote from: dalebert on May 10, 2012, 10:07 PM NHFT
Turns out butter is surprisingly easy to make.

Indeed. So much of cooking involves making emulsions. Making butter means breaking an emulsion.

Lloyd Danforth

MaineShark

Quote from: dalebert on May 10, 2012, 10:07 PM NHFTTurns out butter is surprisingly easy to make.

True story: my elementary school was having "frontier week," to teach us about frontier life, and decided they would have us kids make butter.  So they handed us those cardboard cubes of milk that they always had in the lunchrooms and told us to shake them, to make butter.  Oh, and to make it healthier, they gave us skim milk.  I refused, pointing out that homogenized, skim milk was not going to turn into butter, no matter how much shaking was supplied.  They told my parents I was being "a disruptive influence."  If that happened these days, I'm sure they would have tried to diagnose me with something...

dalebert

Good lord! I started with heavy cream in a glass jar. Piece o cake.