• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Needed: Small Manufacturing Company

Started by JaneDoe, November 09, 2005, 12:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

I am a toymaker and I have also wondered about that.  I have supplied a warning on the label, but, a 10 year old is, sooner or later, going to leave the toy where a younger sibling will get their hands on it.  I wonder about the possibilities  of a Limited Liability Corporation?

AlanM

Are you committed to manufacturing? What about something else? Just a crazy idea I think will work, is a summer long Shorty Dawkins Freedom Festival, much like a Renaissance Faire, but with Freedom as the theme.

JaneDoe

Lloyd, I am not sure. I worked up a business plan about 15 years ago for a friend on a board game. Liability was one of the major issues. I suppose an insurance package could cover it, but with predatory lawyers being the rule rather than the exception, I wouldnt want to take my chances. Have you seen ladders recently? Good for my industry (Pressure Sensitive Labels etc), but bad for personal responsibility. I do know that there are some gnawing issues with limited liability and libertarianism. But I havent really delved much into that, since I am more an anarchist anyways. To get to the point on your toymaking however, do you do it as a hobby?

Alan, I am pretty committed to moving forward with improving manufacturing processes. Much of what I do can be implemented for any type of business to be honest. I just dont feel as comfortable out of my element at this point. I do plan on consulting with manufacturing and other businesses on how they can improve their bottom line with some very simple concepts. I would love to do consulting only, however a steady check is a pretty good idea :)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Irwin M. Fletcher on November 16, 2005, 11:34 AM NHFT
Lloyd, I am not sure. I worked up a business plan about 15 years ago for a friend on a board game. Liability was one of the major issues. I suppose an insurance package could cover it, but with predatory lawyers being the rule rather than the exception, I wouldnt want to take my chances. Have you seen ladders recently?
I heard once that more than half the price of a ladder is due to insurance and litigatation.
QuoteI do know that there are some gnawing issues with limited liability and libertarianism. But I havent really delved much into that, since I am more an anarchist anyways.
I manage to be both.? I thought all corporations limited liability to individual owners of the corporation and was surprised when I first learned what LLC stood for.? I understand how LLC would work for my home improvement company. It would be part of the name and upfront, and,  a customer could inquire what the limitations were, but, I'm not sure how it would apply to toys.
QuoteTo get to the point on your toymaking however, do you do it as a hobby?
? I have developed manufacturing proccesses for about half a dozen toys that use some principal of physics. Some are historical ( Jumping Jack, Belt Hook) some are not ( Exploding Bank, Balance 6 Nails On The Head Of A Seventh) and some are just dust collectors.? I really enjoy working out faster and faster ways of making parts and assemblys using my crude machinery and clever homemade jigs and fixtures.? My shortcoming is marketing.? Sometimes I'm a toy maker and sometimes I'm not.? Sometimes I make outdoor furniture and sometimes I don't.? I am, primarily, a home improvement guy.? When I get to NH, Will have to work harder and smarter to reach my goals and will, probaby, do all three.