• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Updated LSF Website for 2011

Started by Kat Kanning, February 14, 2011, 11:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

New application form up, and updated dates for timeline, eligibility, etc.  Maybe someone could check and make sure I didn't miss any?

http://lsfund.org/node/5

So applications/donations are to be mailed to Peaceful Assembly Church.  Jacob (and John?) plan to interview applicants this year?  I can continue to write checks and maintain the website.

Anything else we need to do right now?  I may possibly be offline for a couple weeks starting Thursday.

Jacobus

Thanks for the updates!

The link to the application form and the form title show 2010 when I think it should be 2011.

I'd be willing to interview candidates in southern NH.

Is the $10 application fee necessary?  Is that new?

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Jacobus on February 14, 2011, 11:29 AM NHFT
The link to the application form and the form title show 2010 when I think it should be 2011.
Thanks :)  Is the form title fixed?  It looks right on my computer but not online to me.

Is the $10 application fee necessary?  Is that new?

It's not necessary.  One idea for raising money for the fund has been to advertise the fund widely and have a lot of people apply.  We've never really done this.  What do you guys think?  We've discussed getting rid of the fee before.

Lloyd Danforth

The $10.00  been there since the beginning. One of our major contributors thinks it's a good idea and would add to the final number if we got the word out and many people responded with applications.
$10 might seem steep, but due to only private school and home students being accepted, their odds are better than applying for more general scholarship funds.
We need to compose a letter to send to Heads of private schools and Home schooling orgs.

Jacobus

The title looks correct to me  now (I had to refresh the PDF to see the udpated version).

I'd prefer there be no application fee.  I remember when I was in high school and applying for college scholarships I avoided any that required fees since it seemed fishy to me.

Lloyd Danforth

You didn't have a 3 or 4 out of about 20 chance of getting the scholarship, either. We could reduce it.

Russell Kanning

I don't remember why there was a fee at the beginning. I could go either way on it.
I like the idea of all the board members and big donors deciding what to do right here on the internet ..... faster than having an in person meeting. :)

John

I think a small fee (which goes directly into the endowment fund?) is reasonable. Maybe it is a good idea to be explicit about where it is going. Maybe it should also say something like, "Those who truly can not afford the application fee are always welcome to apply. Please check this box."
(Checking a box would show us that it is intentional and not an oversite that the fee is not paid.)

I'm also looking at a couple of possible housekeeping items on the website:
Under Donate:
Should significant be substantial (just a little pet peeve of mine)
Mailing address -
Legal notice - (Suggested wording:) On principle, the LSF will not seek 501(c)(3) status.
Donations may or may not be tax deductible.

Under Volunteer:
Mail to:
2010 LSF Brochure - Page not found

Under Planned Giving:
Should significant be substantial?

Under Brochure:
2010 Brochure needs update

Anybody want to give a little talk about the LSF on Feb. 26 at the Liberty, Justice and Peace Gathering of New Hampshire, here in Grafton? The talk could be as long or as short as you like and would be followed by a long or short Q&A. (Speaker gets to decide on length of talk & of the Q&A, and we still have openings at various times of day and evening.) Speaker could choose the main stage or have a small talk in the library ...

Lloyd Danforth

Jacobus

Quote from: John on February 15, 2011, 05:25 PM NHFT
I think a small fee (which goes directly into the endowment fund?) is reasonable. Maybe it is a good idea to be explicit about where it is going. Maybe it should also say something like, "Those who truly can not afford the application fee are always welcome to apply. Please check this box."
(Checking a box would show us that it is intentional and not an oversite that the fee is not paid.)

I like this idea.

Kat Kanning

OK made the changes John suggested, except used legal text from Mr Accountant Russell.

Will update the brochure.

One other thing that's funny - the endowment fund.  I stopped sending it money because it was losing so much money.  What do you all think we should do about it?

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 15, 2011, 05:29 PM NHFT
sure

Is he agreeing to give a speech, or to the waiving the application fee option?

Lloyd Danforth

Pat K

How much do we have to donate, not to hear the speech?

Jacobus

QuoteOne other thing that's funny - the endowment fund.  I stopped sending it money because it was losing so much money.  What do you all think we should do about it?

Tell it to cough up or lose a finger.

Is this invested in a mutual fund or something?  My tentative preference would be to avoid any such investments.  Then again, I stopped giving money to my company-matching 401-K years ago so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice.