• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

3-day Solar-Geophysical Forecast (I am so scared)

Started by Raineyrocks, February 16, 2011, 06:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Does this mean we're all going to die?

Last night I looked on http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php and there were 2 "Space Events", 1 of them was in Philadelphia and the other was in the UK somewhere.  They are not on there today however, if you google these places you will see that a lot of people saw what looked like a meteor, headed towards the earth.  Here I will put up a couple links: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/021511-meteor-spotted-by-fox-29-viewers-confirmedI can't find a link to the one in the UK but it was on the hazard map last night.

Here's a link to another occurence : Solar flare affects shortwave radio communications in southern China
BEIJING, Feb. 15 (Xinhua) -- A large solar flare accompanied by electromagnetic storms affected shortwave radio communications in southern China on Tuesday, according to the China Meteorological Administration (CMA).

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13733621.htm

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today.html

3-day Solar-Geophysical Forecast issued Feb 16 22:00 UTC
Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be moderate with a chance for an isolated major flare for the next three days (17-19 February). Region 1158 is expected to produce more M-class flares and still has the potential for producing an M5 or greater x-ray event. There is a chance for isolated M-class activity from Region 1161.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be predominately quiet on day one (February 17). An increase to unsettled to active conditions, with a chance for minor storm periods is expected late on day one into day two (18 February). The increased activity is forecast due to the expected arrival of the CME associated with the X2 flare that occurred on 15/0156Z. Day three (19 February) is expected to be quiet to active as the disturbance subsides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Johnson

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on February 16, 2011, 06:57 PM NHFT
Why or How are these things scary?

In my mind, I see huge meteors, fireballs, etc. hurling at all of us burning us alive.  I'm a totally paranoid person, I wish I could calm down and stop picturing stuff like this and being scared all of the time but I don't know how.  My sister tells me I should just stop reading bad news and she's probably right yet I don't stop, it's like I feel compelled to keep reading scary stuff.

I've thought about why dying scares me personally and I'm pretty sure it's because to me it's like I might end up being somewhere forever and ever, (if there is an afterlife), and what if I don't like where I end up?  I also can't imagine life after death  without the people I love.  I'm way too connected to something, (I can't think of the word I want to use), to imagine it not being there anymore.  It's really hard to explain, I'm trying but I don't know if I'm doing a good job of it.  :-\

For some reason, ever since I can remember I've been terrified of quick sudden "anything" even a fast bug flying past me to the phone ringing and me thinking it's dreadful news, and I don't know why.  I'm not crazy even though I know it might sound like it by the way I'm explaining my feelings.  I would love to not live in fear for once in my life but I don't know how.   I know living in fear isn't really living life either but that doesn't help me.

I don't want to sound self centered either because that's not it either.  I really care about other people, even if I don't know them.  When I read an article about something happening to someone else, it makes me cry for days and days just knowing there's so much evil in the world and I can almost feel the horrible things that person went through. I eventually pull myself out of the  exteme sadness because I know there are good people in the world too.  There are those days also when I've read something horrible that happened to a child for example and I think to myself if the world just came to an end there would be no more suffering and those are the days that I'm not as scared because it would just make all of the hurt in the world end.

I sometimes wonder if I believed in a religion, that there was a reason for even bad things happening and that there was this nice place called heaven that all of the good people went to that I'd be happier but religions make no sense to me so I don't have that comfort .

Sorry for going on and on.

Raineyrocks

I think that's why I just go into my "air-headed" frame of mind a lot too because it's easier than thinking about all of the things I think about.  Talking about my hair or something silly like that just feels so much easier that I automatically go there in my head.  ::)

KBCraig

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 16, 2011, 07:39 PM NHFT

In my mind, I see huge meteors, fireballs, etc. hurling at all of us burning us alive.

If it's any comfort to you, a solar flare, solar wind, solar storm, etc., is neither light nor heat when it reaches us. It's electromagnetic energy, which you can best describe as a really bad case of static on the radio. It also produces some fantastic northern lights if the conditions are right.

Flares can burn up some electronic systems, but so can a lightning strike (which is both heat and light, and a helluva lot more dangerous).

So. Don't sweat it. It's only of concern to astronomers, telecom folks, and power grid operators.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: littlehawk on February 17, 2011, 07:10 AM NHFT
and HAARP.

So did a little looking into HAARP... 3.6 megawatts at HF frequencies... Big effen deal... people live right next to transmitters that put out similar power at higher frequencies. Now look at the fact that the power drops of by the inverse square for distance, the transmitter is in Alaska...  of all the things to be worried about, that are real threats...  You might as well be talking about the lizard people that have taken over the government.   ;D ;D ;D

Jim Johnson

Doesn't any one find it strange that in 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'Conan the Destroyer' both lead black actors are named Jones, i.e. Grace Jones and James Earl Jones?
...and in 'Conan the Barbarian', James Earl Jones turns into a Giant snake and then Arnold Schwarzenegger becomes Governor of the 7th largest economy in the world?  Commmmmme Oooooonnnnnn!

And now California's economy is completely ruined and Lizard people have there own TV series, 'V'?

It End Times!  END TIMES!!!  :faint:

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on February 16, 2011, 10:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 16, 2011, 07:39 PM NHFT

In my mind, I see huge meteors, fireballs, etc. hurling at all of us burning us alive.

If it's any comfort to you, a solar flare, solar wind, solar storm, etc., is neither light nor heat when it reaches us. It's electromagnetic energy, which you can best describe as a really bad case of static on the radio. It also produces some fantastic northern lights if the conditions are right.

Flares can burn up some electronic systems, but so can a lightning strike (which is both heat and light, and a helluva lot more dangerous).

So. Don't sweat it. It's only of concern to astronomers, telecom folks, and power grid operators.

Thank you so much, your post did help me not be "as" scared!  Seriously, thank you very much!

Now I'm actually looking at it as a neat thing that I may get to see northern lights! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on February 17, 2011, 11:51 AM NHFT
Doesn't any one find it strange that in 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'Conan the Destroyer' both lead black actors are named Jones, i.e. Grace Jones and James Earl Jones?
...and in 'Conan the Barbarian', James Earl Jones turns into a Giant snake and then Arnold Schwarzenegger becomes Governor of the 7th largest economy in the world?  Commmmmme Oooooonnnnnn!

And now California's economy is completely ruined and Lizard people have there own TV series, 'V'?

It End Times!  END TIMES!!!  :faint:

I'm so glad I've never seen those movies and don't watch any TV series!  :D