• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

ASKED TO STEP AWAY FROM VECHILE AND DISARMED WITHOUT POLICE LIGHTS

Started by kyle40sw, March 08, 2011, 02:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

I meant there are times when we can use an excuse like "just doing my job" and we know that we've chosen job over doing the right thing....you are in the military and there may be circumstances where you are ordered to do something that conflicts with your sense of morality. 

Russell Kanning

yea ... ruining a military career might be the best thing to ever happen to you :)

Ed

your truck matched the description of a called-in complaint so yes they could do that; probable cause.
Could do "that" with "that" being arrest you/question you.
I'm fuzzy on the exact details with regards to the line between questioning/arresting. I'm guessing you were "under arrest" until they knew you hadn't been drunk driving.
You may have been inconvenienced but the gov. doesn't owe you liability/damages under sovereign immunity.

You CAN pull your gun when you DO feel reasonably threatened in a lot of states - some states even have explicit laws strongly defending this right. However if you do unwittingly shoot a cop when you do reasonably feel threatened (i.e. when cop fails to identify or barges in), you can still be found guilty of manslaughter, regardless of the lack of mens rea. At least, this has happened in the past. DOn't know if anything like it reached the supreme court.  In general there are many ways a person can be criminally or civilly liable without either malintent or negligence, unfortunately - this probably contributes to the "first, let's kill all the lawyers" mentality. Think the McDonald's-hot-coffee-old-lady story.
Given how unlikely it is that actual criminals would try acting like a cop as a way to help steal or whatever (it would sound like a stupid idea to most people I think) vs. the fucked up shit that happens in prisons where you could end up, it might be better to assume a guy saying he's a cop is  a cop, unfortunately.

I'm far from a lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

kyle40sw

i appereaciate the information, well put and i understood it, thank you, and i agree to the person who said the military could be the best thing to happen to me, i agree, i love my job and love serving. thank you all for you information and support

Tom Sawyer

Welcome to the forum Kyle.

Many who participate here are former military, myself included.

The US government violates the US constitution, international conventions and treaties everyday using the military.
For example:
When was the last time they followed the constitutional process that Congress declares war?

QuoteArticle I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the United States Constitution, sometimes referred to as the War Powers Clause, vests in the Congress the exclusive power to declare war, in the following wording

[Congress shall have Power...] To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

I was young and had been raised on Mom, Apple Pie, USA...   after being owned by the US government, working for Defense contractors etc, and relearning the "history" I learned in government schools... I have a completely different view than when I joined the Marine Corps at 17.

Pat K

Free libertarian

Quote from: kyle40sw on March 11, 2011, 10:28 PM NHFT
i appereaciate the information, well put and i understood it, thank you, and i agree to the person who said the military could be the best thing to happen to me, i agree, i love my job and love serving. thank you all for you information and support

Don't mean to be a trouble maker, but I think the comment above indicated that "ruining" your military career might be the best thing that ever happened to you.

My brief stint in the Navy ended abruptly just outside the swearing in room...they weren't happy, but I was. 

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: kyle40sw on March 11, 2011, 10:28 PM NHFT
, and i agree to the person who said the military could be the best thing to happen to me,
You miss-read what he said.

Free libertarian

Then I apologize  :blush:....I been doing that alot lately....I'll have to adjust my medication.

kyle40sw

oh runing it, ha ya not happening, i love the military, and i agree with the war thing, i wouldnt say we follow it compleatly but im not justafied to go into that

Russell Kanning

macnamara said to his coworker (cobomber) one day during the "just war" of wwII
"If we lose this war we will be tried as war criminals"
those are the guys who call the shots