• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving to NH on or about April 20th

Started by CurtHowland, March 14, 2011, 01:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtHowland

Well, it's finally happening. I have to be in NC for a appointment on April 19th, but after that I'm heading for NH.

Several people recommended Manchester, and I note many job offers in that area, so I guess that's it.

I need three things,

- A storage unit. I'd like to do better than throwing darts at the phone book, does someone know a decent place? I'll need 10x15 when I get there, to fit household until things get better. It doesn't need to be in Manchester, since nothing in the entire state is all that far away. Maybe a small town will cost less. Suggestions more than welcome.

- It's still too early to put in a bid on a room at a Porc Manor, so a weekly-rate motel would be fine. Those are also the kinds of places that don't advertise much, so it's hard to find them without already being there. I'd rather not sleep in the car.  :)

- Contacts. I will try to track the regional gatherings, so I know where people are getting together. I know lots of you by name, many by face from watching Ridley Reports, I was at PorcFest last year.

Any suggestions welcome, I look forward to shaking hands and swapping stories.

Curt-

Russell Kanning

CurtHowland

Yes, unfortunately. I had hopes of moving with wife and kids, but as it's now ex-wife, that isn't going to happen.

That I'm leaving the children I sacreficed anything like a career for, to stay home to raise and homeschool for 7 years, is a tale of woe worthy of a Greek tragedy which I will relate if someone is actually interested, but which is not something I would be happy to do here and now.  :(

CurtHowland

Oh, and in addition, I would like to make a run up with a loaded trailer, but so far no one has suggested a storage unit place. Oh well.

Russell Kanning

I don't know of any especially good ones. We have helped many people fill and empty them.

CurtHowland

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 18, 2011, 08:27 AM NHFT
I don't know of any especially good ones. We have helped many people fill and empty them.

I guess that's as good as "there's none especially bad, either".  :)

I'll see if my friend in Londonderry has any suggestions. I guess I'll see what the weather is like next weekend!

Nothing big enough to need help loading/unloading, just boxes. Having moved out of the house recently, I'm not surprised how packed I already am.

Russell Kanning

have you hooked up with the manchester gang much yet?

CurtHowland

I bumped into Ridley at PorcFest last year, but other than that, no.

I rather expect things to pick up once I'm in town and can meet people in person.

The difference is that I know many of you due to Ridley Reports, but no one knows me. Except maybe Mandrake, of whose Gyros I ate entirely too many.  :)

Russell Kanning

the manch crew seems to be mostly silent online, but there are a lot of them
it is funny how many people show up in the Shire and know half of us by sight already

CurtHowland

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 19, 2011, 08:23 AM NHFTit is funny how many people show up in the Shire and know half of us by sight already

Well, I heard Dale talking behind a tent wall at PF last year, and knew who it was because of his time on FTL.

CurtHowland

Ok.

I've reserved a storage unit in Manchester, and am taking a load up tomorrow, March 26th. I figure if I leave not too long after midnight, I should be able to get there while it's still business hours. I hope.

...because I really don't want to sleep in a truck stop with a loaded "open" trailer of stuff.

I don't need any help unpacking, thank you, but if anyone is doing anything tomorrow night it would be nice to meet folks.

John

Quote from: CurtHowland on March 20, 2011, 02:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 19, 2011, 08:23 AM NHFTit is funny how many people show up in the Shire and know half of us by sight already

Well, I heard Dale talking behind a tent wall at PF last year, and knew who it was because of his time on FTL.

I used to be a regular caller and folks would say, "I know you: you're John from Free Talk Live, right?"

CurtHowland

Well, that's that. 31.5 hours, 1815 miles, and I haven't added up the gas yet, for one run of stuff into a storage unit in Manchester.

The snow in Virginia on the way back this morning slowed me down quite a bit.

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: CurtHowland on March 14, 2011, 01:16 PM NHFT

Any suggestions welcome....

Curt-

Make sure you're in the Shire by 4:20 the afternoon of 4-20 at the State House.

Russell Kanning

snow is just an added bonus care of patk