• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving to NH on or about April 20th

Started by CurtHowland, March 14, 2011, 01:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

A lot of things can be blamed on me, but snow ain't
one of them.

CurtHowland

April 20 gets closer.

PorcManor.com is woefully out of date.

Still collecting suggestions, and no one has yet to mention a $35/night down-and-out motel anywhere at all. Lots of them around here in NC, maybe just a symptom of the economic problems.

The storage unit place I found in Manch does not allow me to sleep in the unit, so I'll have to find something. :^)

CurtHowland

Holy Hole In The Wallet Batman!

My car insurance DOUBLED moving to NH, because uninsured motorist and medical payments are REQUIRED BY LAW!

Ok, there's my legislative agenda, that's insane!

dalebert

Quote from: CurtHowland on April 18, 2011, 11:49 AM NHFT
My car insurance DOUBLED moving to NH, because uninsured motorist and medical payments are REQUIRED BY LAW!

I don't understand.  You aren't required to insure your car at all in NH.  Most people get cheaper payments when they move due to that.  Are you saying that if you choose to insure (and most do), then certain requirements apply?

CurtHowland

Quote from: dalebert on April 18, 2011, 01:04 PM NHFT
Quote from: CurtHowland on April 18, 2011, 11:49 AM NHFT

I don't understand.  You aren't required to insure your car at all in NH.

Now THAT is interesting! I haven't lived where insurance wasn't mandatory, so this is a surprise.

QuoteMost people get cheaper payments when they move due to that.  Are you saying that if you choose to insure (and most do), then certain requirements apply?

Having insurance is a good idea, I agree. And yes, the GEICO (I'm going to shop around when I get settled in, count on that!) rep said that in order to ensure in NH, Uninsured Motorist and Medical Payments were required.

They're not required in NC, which is why I was paying "only" $230/6mo.

If GEICO is pulling a fast one, I'm going to be impolite when I cancel my service with them in favor of someone else.

When I lived in Colorado, I got insurance through the local Farm Bureau. It was something like $200/year. Much more rational for someone who's never had an accident.

MaineShark

GEICO is horrible.

I use Peerless, out of Keene.  They covered something that they were not even, technically, required to cover.  I didn't even ask them to cover it.  I just informed them, on general principles (and was explicit in stating that I didn't expect them to cover it), and they took it upon themselves to offer to cover it.  And, it was just under the cut-off, so it didn't even impact my rate.

[edit: Had some billing issues with Peerless - I've no complaints against their claims service, but too many problems with bills not showing up, or them losing my payments; others have had the same problems so it was not an isolated issue - I still recommend Eames as an agency, and they were able to set me up with comparable coverage for my vehicle and my liability insurance, for less money]

Eames has been a good agent, but you may want to find a local agent in Manch, if that's where you will be.  Or maybe not.

Additionally, despite having massive commercial-grade coverage, including uninsured motorist, medical, coverage for towing trailers with thousands of dollars in equipment on them, etc. etc. etc... even with all that, I'm not paying twice what you were paying.

Joe

KBCraig

Switching from Geico to USAA cut my rates to less than half.

CurtHowland

Thanks everyone, I'll take care of that right away then.

Well, right after I get someplace to sleep.  ;D

Speaking of which, I will be in Manch on Wednesday morning, after driving through the night. It's time to leave North Carolina.

John

KBCraig

Quote from: CurtHowland on April 18, 2011, 05:13 PM NHFT
It's time to leave North Carolina.

It's way past time to leave Texas. You suck, and congratulations; save me a spot!

CurtHowland

Quote from: John on April 18, 2011, 11:39 PM NHFT
Safe traveling.

Thank you.

Bilbo used to say there is only one road, it's tributaries are at every doorstep. It's a dangerous thing, stepping into a road. If you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to.

Sage words, indeed. Thank you, Professor.

Russell Kanning

seems like there are reasonable motel prices in concord and nashua

CurtHowland

Just to keep this thread up to date...

I hit a deer at 6:15 in Brattleboro, punctured the radiator and left the plastic bumper shattered.

Anyway, a quick call to Porc411 led to Stan's Auto Body in Keene, who had two trucks there (pulling a trailer, ya see) in 45 minutes.

So I made it to NH, I just haven't quite made it all the way, yet. My chase car will be here in a few hours, and at least we can get the stuff put away. Then I'll come back to Keene and hang out until the car is ready, hopefully tomorrow.

April 20th, just not quite the way I envisioned.  :-\

John

Quote from: CurtHowland on April 20, 2011, 08:20 AM NHFTSo I made it to NH, I just haven't quite made it all the way, yet...
April 20th, just not quite the way I envisioned.  :-\

Well. Welcome Home just the same!
Glad that you made it.
And, Thank You for coming home.

Russell Kanning

wow
lucky it was not time for the strolling of the heifers