• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question for the system administrator (Kat)

Started by danhynes, January 26, 2005, 12:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

danhynes

I was wondering if you wrote the code for this forum thing, or if someone in FSP did it or you paid someone else to do it. I am looking to start up a website in the next couple of months and would like a forum such as you have.

Kat Kanning

None of the above.  It's free!  http://www.simplemachines.org/  If you'd like help setting it up, I'd be happy to assist, but it isn't particularaly difficult.

GT

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a website to deal with issues in my town. Sort of an un-official 24/7 online town meeting.

I'm not terribley web literate. I'm thining I would need a domain name and hosting service that supports a PHP website?
Is the setup done from my end or does the hosting company have to be involved?
Any suggestions on service providers?

Kat Kanning

The provider I use (he.net) would cost you $10/month.  If you prefer to support a fellow underground member, Scott Roth can host your website, which I believe is $20/month.  There is also godaddy.com, which can get you going for something like $5/month.  In any of these cases, I'd be happy to help set up a forum for you.

Scott Roth

I can host a basic website for 9.95 a month and we can design any type of site that you would need.  Let us know what you need and we can work out a package according to your budget. 8)

Ron Helwig

I've had good success with TikiWiki http://tikiwiki.org - it has a wiki and forums and galleries...
NHFree.com seems to be TikiWiki too.

Of course you need a host.

Friday

I was wondering where forum users' position(s) come from (default appears to be Liberty Lover)? Do we set those ourselves, or do administrators assign them at their whim? Thanks for the info!

Kat Kanning

Whim, but if you've got a suggestion, I'll put it up there.

Elvis

Friday, I'm guessing the title has been set by the admin based on number of posts. ?The secondary title you can set yourself, through profile preferences.

Friday

Quote from: katdillon on April 04, 2005, 10:40 AM NHFT

Can we make suggestions for other people?? >:D

Elvis

If your needs are simple, you may want to look at e-rice.net for hosting. ?They have been around a long time, and charge like $10 a year. ?No Perl, and no SLA, but most of his customers seem happy.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Friday on April 04, 2005, 10:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on April 04, 2005, 10:40 AM NHFT

Can we make suggestions for other people?  >:D

Sure, but it's based on the number of posts you've made.

Russell Kanning

If you ask Kat to do evil things to certain people...she will do it....many of us are mere victims of her whims :'(

Friday

Quote from: russellkanning on April 04, 2005, 01:03 PM NHFT
If you ask Kat to do evil things to certain people...she will do it....many of us are mere victims of her whims :'(

Yeah, Russell, right... I'm sure Kat "victimizes" you frequently.? You poor thing.? ?::)

Kat Kanning

Kira asks, "Why is there a picture of Chihiro?"