• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tesla Generator?

Started by tracysaboe, March 20, 2011, 10:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

it helps when you read by braile

dalebert

Quote from: tracysaboe on March 20, 2011, 10:49 PM NHFT
I'm very skeptical. It seems like, if this were real, DIYers would have been doing this for the past decade, and I'd havae heard some first hand account online and in forums by now.

Exactly.  I guarantee anyone who tells you they've done it is trying to sell you something.

Radio waves can be converted to very faint sounds.  It's possible to make a radio that you can listen to with earplugs without batteries powered just by the radio waves.  That wouldn't even be enough to even power a cellphone though.  Cosmic rays pass through everything, including the Earth itself.

It would be a MAJOR scientific discovery to be able to harness them for energy.  No ones going to sell $100 generators on the net if they figure that one out.  They're going to become the next Bill Gates multi-billionaire.

dalebert

Quote from: MaineShark on March 22, 2011, 08:41 AM NHFT
Oh, you can build a device that will capture energy from an antenna.

It's called a crystal radio.

Unfortunately, it's not magic - the energy was put there by the radio antennas, and it's nowhere near powerful enough to actually be useful for anything other than making a small bit of sound.

Oh, see I should read the thread before posting.  He beat me to it.

Jim Johnson

So there you go tracysaboe...
you need an antenna and a correction circuit...  free energy. 
The larger your antenna and the closer you're tuned to the source, the more power you will get.

An electrical generator is something that turns mechanical energy to electrical energy.  Most of this thread has been talking about transmission and reception of energy.

MaineShark

Quote from: AntonLee on March 23, 2011, 06:01 AM NHFTI remember watching History showing his generator that stood behind some building that supposedly sent wireless power to objects nearby.  THe idea being that these would be setup everywhere and eliminate the need for powerlines etc.

Why did this never catch on?  Was there something dangerous?

There are some dangers due to high-energy radio waves in those frequencies.  Also, pretty much anything metal near it becomes an antenna, so your fork is going to start getting warm, and the fillings in your teeth, and the nails holding your house together.  Et cetera.  It's not controlled, like the electricity flowing through wires, so it will influence things that you didn't intend it to.

There's also the fact that it's massively inefficient.  Imagine that I'm a hundred yards away from you, and you want to deliver a gallon of water to me.  You can put it in a bucket, or send it through a pipe (like batteries or wires), and the efficiency is pretty decent.  If you want to try and spray the water to me using a firehose, you're going to have to spray a lot of water, in order for enough drops to get in my bucket to equal a gallon.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on March 23, 2011, 06:36 AM NHFTFrom what I've heard/read about Tesla is that he had the knowledge/technology to create totally free, unlimited energy and of course that would never be allowed by probably any govt. system so they killed him and stole his work and of course never let it come into fruition.

No such thing as free energy.  All energy has to come from somewhere.  If someone were to just start sucking energy out of "thin air," it would still be coming from somewhere.  Due to the dimensional interaction that creates our physical "laws," about the only place such energy could come from, would be a local or widespread distortion of those interactions.  So, your "free" energy might come by distorting the local gravitational constant, for example.  That would be all fine and dandy, until the sun went nova and all life was wiped from this planet.

Believe me, you don't want anyone messing with that sort of thing.  And Tesla certainly wasn't - even the current state of the art only hints that such a thing might be possible, and gives no real idea as to how it could be achieved.  Brilliant man, though - his turbine design is such elegant simplicity that I'm seriously thinking of incorporating it in one of my projects, a thermoelectric generator - apply heat from some source (solar, for one, or burning wood, of switchgrass, or yard weeds, or whatever), and you get electricity out.  Since most folks can find some source of heat, this would allow distributed power production, which the Feds couldn't shut down to pressure a town, city, or state into compliance, the way the power grid can be (which is the reason for the push for "smart grid" technology that would allow them to shut down any combination of users with a few keystrokes).

Joe

AntonLee

KBCraig

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on March 24, 2011, 05:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on March 23, 2011, 06:01 AM NHFTI remember watching History showing his generator that stood behind some building that supposedly sent wireless power to objects nearby.  THe idea being that these would be setup everywhere and eliminate the need for powerlines etc.

Why did this never catch on?  Was there something dangerous?

There are some dangers due to high-energy radio waves in those frequencies.  Also, pretty much anything metal near it becomes an antenna, so your fork is going to start getting warm, and the fillings in your teeth, and the nails holding your house together.  Et cetera.  It's not controlled, like the electricity flowing through wires, so it will influence things that you didn't intend it to.

There's also the fact that it's massively inefficient.  Imagine that I'm a hundred yards away from you, and you want to deliver a gallon of water to me.  You can put it in a bucket, or send it through a pipe (like batteries or wires), and the efficiency is pretty decent.  If you want to try and spray the water to me using a firehose, you're going to have to spray a lot of water, in order for enough drops to get in my bucket to equal a gallon.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on March 23, 2011, 06:36 AM NHFTFrom what I've heard/read about Tesla is that he had the knowledge/technology to create totally free, unlimited energy and of course that would never be allowed by probably any govt. system so they killed him and stole his work and of course never let it come into fruition.

No such thing as free energy.  All energy has to come from somewhere.  If someone were to just start sucking energy out of "thin air," it would still be coming from somewhere.  Due to the dimensional interaction that creates our physical "laws," about the only place such energy could come from, would be a local or widespread distortion of those interactions.  So, your "free" energy might come by distorting the local gravitational constant, for example.  That would be all fine and dandy, until the sun went nova and all life was wiped from this planet.

Believe me, you don't want anyone messing with that sort of thing.  And Tesla certainly wasn't - even the current state of the art only hints that such a thing might be possible, and gives no real idea as to how it could be achieved.  Brilliant man, though - his turbine design is such elegant simplicity that I'm seriously thinking of incorporating it in one of my projects, a thermoelectric generator - apply heat from some source (solar, for one, or burning wood, of switchgrass, or yard weeds, or whatever), and you get electricity out.  Since most folks can find some source of heat, this would allow distributed power production, which the Feds couldn't shut down to pressure a town, city, or state into compliance, the way the power grid can be (which is the reason for the push for "smart grid" technology that would allow them to shut down any combination of users with a few keystrokes).

Joe

Darn it Joe, just when I was feeling intelligent you blew it for me ! :crybaby2:  I will never enter the 'debate Joe Zone' ;D  I am smart enough to know that I will not win, hee, hee .