• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Re: The first tenet or precept of Buddhism

Started by KBCraig, March 26, 2011, 06:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: shyfrog on March 26, 2011, 06:03 AM NHFT
Self-defense is the first protection against killing.

Nice.

Also worth noting, the Judeo-Christian commandment is more accurately translated as "do not murder" (meaning kill with hatred).

I firmly believe that using force, especially deadly force, against another person should always be a last resort. But, if they leave me no other choice, then they have made that choice for me.

Jim Johnson

I split this topic because I know how violent Christians can be.
People who want to talk about Buddhism can be over over here,http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=22466.0

shyfrog

The Dalai Lama wrote a book called "The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus".

The blatant separation of Christian and Buddhist thought in this forum split (also, your link to the other thread is broken...) is not consistent with either Buddhism or Christianity.

Extremes are not part of either. I also know how violent atheists can be. Or should I just say "humans"?

Jim Johnson

shyfrog

Lloyd Danforth

Morality exists in the absence of religion of any kind.

shyfrog

That's one thought. Very singular. Assumes it is the only way. Doubtful.

Lloyd Danforth

shyfrog

I don't recall saying, at any point, that the idea does not exist. That's just silly :P

Just because it exists, does not make it a singular and irrefutable truth.

dalebert

I'm very confused by the split.  There appear to be two topics with nearly the same name in the same section.  Was there a different name at one time that would cause this to make sense?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: shyfrog on March 26, 2011, 09:17 AM NHFT
I don't recall saying, at any point, that the idea does not exist. That's just silly :P

Just because it exists, does not make it a singular and irrefutable truth.
Yeah, me neither.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on March 26, 2011, 09:56 AM NHFT
I'm very confused by the split.  There appear to be two topics with nearly the same name in the same section.  Was there a different name at one time that would cause this to make sense?
It's religion, Dale.
If your not going to give your mind over to the nonsense you will never believe.

I thought shyfrog wanted talk about 'The first tenet or precept of Buddhism', which I thought might be interesting.  But then the first post diverted on to Christianity, which completely mucked up the subject.  But then I find out this actually what shyfrog wanted to talk about.  Which made me into a schmuck, which proves that all talk about religion is a bunch of crap.
Does that clear the pond for you, Dale?

Free libertarian

The TRUE answer is reveiled within the question and the reply contained in the book of Dorothy 3:16.

Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
...I'm not a witch at all !

However this should NOT be construed as answering the evolutionary question or the significance of flying monkey men!

shyfrog

This thread is far more revealing than I ever anticipated.

KBCraig