• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Forum Flea Market - sell yer stuff here!

Started by Dave Ridley, November 17, 2005, 05:35 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

president

Quote from: russellkanning on January 01, 2006, 07:46 PM NHFT
That was my last wife. I upgraded this time around.
Does that make you an adulterer?

"And it was said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of dismissal'; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the cause of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." (Matt 5:31-32, NASB)

zackbass

Quote from: dead president on January 03, 2006, 12:36 PM NHFT

"And it was said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of dismissal'; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the cause of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." (Matt 5:31-32, NASB)

Yeah, Jesus also said if you even THINK about it you are committing Adultery.  He played fast and loose with word meanings when it suited him.
Funny thing, though, these rants applied only to Divorcing a wife (as above), or to lusting after a married woman to whom you were not married.

But never once did Jesus say anything against screwing lots of women to whom you are married - he did NOT consider that Adultery.  This was certainly not because he simply didn't get around to it, or because the subject didn't come up.  Jewish Law in his day allowed men to have up to 17 wives (that limit was later increased!), and in fact at one time Herod the Great had 10 of the things (they didn't call him Great for nothing).  John the Baptist, for example, didn't shy away from complaining about the naughty things Herod Antipas did (heck, even The Emperor Formerly Known As Octavian complained about how many family members Herod the Great was killing - "I would rather be Herod's pig than Herod's son" http://www.bible-history.com/resource/ff_herod.htm); but neither John nor Jesus saw the slightest thing wrong with Herod's polygamy.

Lloyd Danforth