• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

White birch

Started by CurtHowland, April 24, 2011, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtHowland

There seems to be lots of very beautiful white birch growing, like weeds, all over the place.

I want to make a walking stick for my daughter, to match the one I made for myself from silver birch some 20+ years ago.

So I need to find a relatively straight, light and narrow (so young) white birch tree that someone doesn't want. Unless told otherwise, I hesitate to just pull over to the side of the road and walk up to the stands of such trees that are growing like weeds in the lonely areas near route 9 which I saw when driving last week.

But being a cheap bastard, as this forum is entitled, stopping by the side of the road would seem the perfect answer. Can anyone who'se been here longer tell me if I'm going to risk dire consequences for snipping one of thousands of weeds?

....but a very pretty weed?

I certainly wouldn't do it on private property, unless someone said, "I have just such a stand of birch, come and get one."

Lloyd Danforth

I'll inquire about the ones around here.