• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Starting a free town?

Started by danhynes, January 26, 2005, 10:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

danhynes

Does anyone here think it is a good idea to try and start a free town project? I think there can be many benefits to starting small then growing, such as not as many people are needed so it actually can be done sooner. On the other hand some things are harder such finding jobs. I think the demographics of the libertarian members tending to be very technological can help. I know someone tried this before but went a little too far in their anarchist views and wanting to allow everything seen as victimless, such as dueling and other rather unpopular things. Needless to say the local town members quickly attacked the project. Since I do not see dueling or other strange victimless crimes as a major setback in this country I do not think it such a bad thing should it not be allowed, at least at first. Any comments would be appreciated :)

Kat Kanning

It's great having so many activists in the Keene area.  I'd love to see that trend continue :)

AlanM

I actually think this is a good idea. However, planning of such a project should not be done in an open forum.

Grunt

Sounds like a logistical nightmare. If someone does manage to pull it off, Id be the first to relocate.

Still, in the long run it may be better to spread the concept of freedom far and wide, not concentrate it into an insular location where the ATF/FBI/CIA/IRS can more easily make a target of us.

Kat Kanning

Bob Hull owns quite a bit of land in Grafton now.  I don't know if he's stil working on Grafton being a Free Town, but I'm sure he'd chat with whoever is interested.  rhull (at) wallnet (dot) com

Dave Ridley

Ya I would just say move to Grafton for this...most of the legwork has already been done, and it's a beautiful town...no zoning, good volunteer fire dept and great police chief last I heard.    Condon and Hull are still on board with this; Hull has already moved I think and John and Rosalie Babiarz already live there.   Just move in and be good citizens like Don Gorman is always saying... no need to overorganize.   This will either happen naturally or won't happen.   

Grunt

Well said. Anyone have more info on Grafton? Is it within striking range of Concord?

Kat Kanning

Grunt

Ouch. 4 hours? *gulp*

Im juggling the idea of camping the state legislature in Concord as a free agent/lobbyist for the FSP. I cant help but wonder what effect I would be able to have.

Shame Grafton aint a bit closer to ground zero.

Appealing idea though.

danhynes

Does anyone here like the idea of Pittsburg being a free town. It has a small population. The thing is it is way up north and isolated. This is bad for people who dont like being isolated, and good for those people who think there is any possibility of a secession in our lifetime  ;)  Anyway here is the link to the place if anyone can give me feedback. Thanks. http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/pittsburg.html

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Grunt on January 26, 2005, 02:50 PM NHFT
Ouch. 4 hours? *gulp*

Im juggling the idea of camping the state legislature in Concord as a free agent/lobbyist for the FSP. I cant help but wonder what effect I would be able to have.

Shame Grafton aint a bit closer to ground zero.

Appealing idea though.

You can't do anything....free agent...lobbyist or anything using the name: Free State Project.

Lloyd Danforth

Knowing the history of Grafton and the Free Town Project, we should consider deleting this entire post.

Kat Kanning

Why?  I would love to have tons of people settle in the Keene area.  It's not about taking over a town, just the whole thing of living surrounded by like minded people is great!

Lloyd Danforth

Keene isn't Grafton.  Although you are right. This is an open forum and I guess there is no reason that it couldn't be discussed here.  It didn't belong in the FSP forum, because, the concept flew in the face of the FSP and contradicted the mission of the FSP, a Free State. I retract my suggestion.
Lloyd(Humbled)

Naaa!, screw that humbled crap!