• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Automobile Inspections

Started by CurtHowland, June 25, 2011, 04:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtHowland

Good afternoon.

As I now have New Hampshire plates on my car, even though it is not a commercial vehicle, I am now liable for inspection.

A gentleman at a Taproom Tuesday whose name I did not get said that he was aware of a shop in Manchester that would do an honest inspection, rather than focusting on the cosmetic damage the deer did to my car in Brattleboro in April.

He asked if I attended this forum, and I said I did, so if you are he, or if you can suggest an honest mechanic yourself, I will be glad for the referral.

In Manch while everyone else is at PorcFest,

Curt-

Russell Kanning

i guess some other people are in manch .... because porcfest could fit us all

CurtHowland

With the resounding response folks had to this question, I couldn't get to them all, so I took the car to the guy "around the corner".

His $40 inspection turned up a laundry list of crap, like brake pads AND the bumper that the deer took out.

So now I need a mechanic. And it has to be finished before the end of next week.

Help, please.

djbridgeland

Those Damn inspections are super annoying.  Having done some research NH, NY, and MA are the only states that require yearly inspections for all vehicles with emissions testing. Add to the fact that NH has no decent public transportation (not that I'm advocating for that) owing a vehicle in NH is pretty much a necessity if you wish to get around epically between different communities.

Can we at least get ride of all of the B.S. requirements that have nothing to do with safety?  Also almost certainly their are shops that will fail stuff just to make a quick buck when others would pass it with no problem.  If one shops fails something and it shows up in the state database other shops are pretty much expected to fail it for the same reason.  So  much for comparison shopping or getting a second opinion. 

CurtHowland

Dj,

The shop I went to, Bob & Sons on Kelley Street, told me that once the first place put their report "into the system", if I'm stopped and the cop notices something broken, they can go "into the system", find that this damage was reported, was obviously not fixed, and then prosecute the shop that DID pass the car for a crime.

Anyway, Bob & Sons did a good job of replacing the bumper taken out by the deer in VT, and the car is generally cleared until next time.

Inspections are a waste of time, money and resources. If the car is unsafe, then my insurance company ought to refuse to insure it, or refuse to pay a claim if I do not maintain it.

That is real regulation, the power of the free market.