• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Jailbird Johnson

Started by KBCraig, June 29, 2011, 02:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

I will be in superior court today, and if I don't get arrested myself then I will pull Jim's case file and see what the robed man has put in it.

Does anyone know how to do a habeas corpus?  Some have thrown that idea around.  It didn't do anything last time for Sam, but who knows. 

TackleTheWorld

Jim called today to say he's not out of jail.  He says he's not in pain so much anymore.  He never gets to exercise and sits or paces most of the day.  He says it's cold in his cell, he can breathe on the window and it stays fogged for 30 seconds.  He got a book finally.  He is getting mail-to-jail.com mail and likes to hear news from the outside.  Dada has sent him some pages from a book he's writing. 

FTL_Ian

UPDATE:

Spoke with Van Wickler today in person and he said he would remove Jim from segregation and put him in D block in population as soon as tomorrow.  He will then be available for unlimited visitation.  (8a-12p, 1p-3:30p, 6p-10p)

He says it's jail policy to put people in for contempt or nonpayment of fines into segregation for 14 days with the intention of putting the pressure on to get them to pay up or do what they've been ordered.

I learned that the judge cannot set the conditions of confinement, only how long someone is to be kept.

Van Wickler has the option to cut someone loose after 2/3s of a maximum sentence has been served.  The only time he cannot exercise this option is when the imprisoned has been sentenced to a "mandatory" sentence, or in a contempt case like Jim's.

Van Wickler expressed interest in having greater leeway to release prisoners.  He says that is something the legislature could change.

Kat Kanning

The most important thing is to squeeze money out of these poor guys.

John

Segregation is designed and intended to be a subtle (and thereby excepted) form of mental and emotional torture.

It is designed to get one to do whatever they are being tortured to do.

Russell Kanning

yep ... he must have been in a room like mine .... except maybe 2 doors south so he couldn't even see that alleyway you guys showed up in for me. I was so surprised when I saw you guys. :)
At least in d pod he can walk around a bit and get some sunshine in the afternoon.

karenijohnson

JOHNSON HABEAS CORPUS possible and other info  >> Re: Jailbird Johnson
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Habeas corpus will take a lot of typing and time to do court hearings and stuff. But without habeas, Johnson should have the ability to "serve out his fine" at say 30 dollars each day. do some research to see what they do with traffic ticket cases where the person "refuses" or cannot pay the fine.  This is really often a judgment call by the judge who has to make some sort of determination of how willful the refusal to pay is. Contempt is only allowed in most cases as a punishment to compel behavior the court believes will occur.  If the court does not believe the person will ever "comply" contempt cannot be used (need citation of case).  Many states have a set dollars per day that you can "serve out your fine" and you can PAY the leftover at anytime and be released.  SOME states also have community service at say 6$ OR SOMETHING per hour off the fine.  Kind of a "rough" justice approach and is case by case.  HOPE this helps some.

karenijohnson

//
http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=23030.45;topicseen
I will be in superior court today, and if I don't get arrested myself then I will pull Jim's case file and see what the robed man has put in it.

Does anyone know how to do a habeas corpus?  Some have thrown that idea around.  It didn't do anything last time for Sam, but who knows.
Report to moderator   Logged
130+ Reasons to Move to Keene: http://move.freekeene.com

Keene-area Activist Discussion Forum: http://forum.FreeKeene.com

Pat K

Tom Sawyer

Glad to hear they are ramping down the the Torture pressure. Golly gee Van Wickler is one step short of the Shrindler's list fellow, if only the legislation would allow him, he would torture Jim a little less.

Thanks for checking into the court stuph Ian.

Good to hear my mail to jail probably made it in to Jim.

KBCraig

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on July 12, 2011, 03:42 PM NHFT

Spoke with Van Wickler today in person . . .

He says it's jail policy to put people in for contempt or nonpayment of fines into segregation for 14 days with the intention of putting the pressure on to get them to pay up or do what they've been ordered.

I learned that the judge cannot set the conditions of confinement, only how long someone is to be kept.

If the ACA had any brass, Van Wickler would lose accreditation for that.

FTL_Ian

Karen,

Sorry if I was not clear.  According to the superintendent, Jim is not being held in lieu of paying a fine - they are holding him until he bows to the robed man and fills out a financial affidavit.

If Jim were being held to pay the fine, he'd be released today.

Russell Kanning

yea ... iff  they were not so busy "doing my job" they could be like real live people

Tom Sawyer

FTL_Ian

When I went to check the case file today I was told I couldn't because it was with the robed man because Jim has allegedly filled out the financial affidavit.

As of the close of court today, the robed man had not made a decision on it, which means the earliest will be Monday.

Russell Kanning

thanks for the info
I like the use of "allegedly" for all activities gov emp do
allegedly the jail is going to give me my wedding ring back