• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The underground bermed greenhouse thread

Started by Free libertarian, July 23, 2011, 01:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Free libertarian

Rumor has it the boys at "Alternative Acres" have green thumbs.   ;)  We are strongly considering constructing a bermed greenhouse.
We have a supply of glass panels but could always use more if anybody has them or knows where there is a surplus.

We've read the book and now have to do the work.   Anybody ever make a bermed greenhouse before or have any helpful tips?

We're hoping to be able to grow food year round as starvation doesn't seem to be such a good thing.

KBCraig

I don't have any advice, but I'd sure like to see the outcome.

Russell Kanning

well when was the last time you experienced our half buried greenhouse at the Hoyt Farm?
last summer it was never too hot (I could let the air flow from the basement in and out the upper door) and it was pretty decent in the winter.
We didn't grow things in the winter, but it will give people some ideas.
I have always liked the idea of a fully bermed one. :)

Tom Sawyer

I'm jealous, I've wanted one for a good while.

MaineShark

It's on the to-do list.

Be careful of the glass angle.  We have a 90psf snow load here, so panels that are too shallow will tend to carry too much snow weight, and can shatter.  60 degrees from horizontal is fairly good for this climate.  Wire mesh installed under the glass is a good idea, for safety.  If a piece breaks while you're standing under it, it's literally possible to be decapitated, or suffer another deadly wound due to falling glass.

A sunken walkway is a good idea.  Cold air will collect there, rather than sitting on your plants.  Plus, it gives you more headroom.

Russell Kanning

Scott Roth

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 23, 2011, 06:56 PM NHFT
I'm jealous, I've wanted one for a good while.

If we get ours built, you and the family are welcome to come up, stand in it, admire it and be jealous up close.   ;D

Free libertarian

Thanks for the tips Maine Shark....yeah that decapitation thing could really ruin my day... " Hey where's Bob ?"    "He's out in the greenhouse feeling around for new growth" .   ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Free libertarian on July 25, 2011, 05:57 AM NHFT
....yeah that decapitation thing could really ruin my day...

"Well, that confirms it... Bob's just an old head."

MaineShark

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 24, 2011, 03:00 PM NHFTplastic solves the broken glass problem

Sure, but he says he already has the glass, so I was trying to make suggestions based upon that...

Joe

Russell Kanning

we don't want any drug task force guys hurting themselves

littlehawk

Tempered glass would be safest, a bit more expensive but worth it. (one can always search on Craigs List as well)
Sunlight will deteriorate plastics quickly.

Russell Kanning

the fancy stuph i used for our greenhouse will last quite a while

you don't know solar powered bob very well if your suggest expensive parts for his greenhouse :)

littlehawk

Solexx is a great corragated poly but very pricey.

They make a 12mL greenhouse plastic that is relatively cheap and holds up well to wind and sun.