• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Snow watch

Started by Friday, November 23, 2005, 06:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Shorty would have liked this snowstorm.  8) He liked lots of snow, not dustings.

Lloyd Danforth

I was going to do a little shoveling at a time. ?I shoveled the 2nd time at 9:30. ?I went out at 11 with the intention of pushing a couple of inches around. ?It had snowed 5 Inches! Still snowing, although they forecast sunshine this afternoon.

Kat Kanning

Looks like yours is about to turn to slush, Lloyd.

Russell Kanning

It got darker around 11 and it has been dumping.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on December 09, 2005, 11:12 AM NHFT
Looks like yours is about to turn to slush, Lloyd.

I think the sunshine claim is a lie.

Russell Kanning

It stopped here .... the place we were shoveling had 15"

Russell Kanning

Our place keeps getting a little more off the trees .... it is hard to measure at our house.

Lloyd Danforth

Sun's out!  I've been out shoveling my sidewalk (Corner) .  Now, I'm waiting for the plowtrucks to put some of it back.

Michael Fisher

Looks like 6" in Newmarket.

We unfortunately missed the bright white radiance from the golden sunset this evening.  Perhaps tomorrow...

Pat K

Well I see some nice green brown grass here. Listen you guys, try to have that snow all spiffed up for me on Sunday.:)

KBCraig

So, as "real winter" sets in and there's no melting, only more accumulation, do you have to develop a strategy for "snow storage"?

I know a lot of it will sublimate, and some will compact down into ice, but do you reach a point where you've got more snow than you can pile off to the side of your driveway? I'm guessing that if you have a sloping lot, you have to be careful not to build a dam that would channel water into your house or basement.

We had about 3 flakes fall yesterday. High today was 32, low was 15, light breeze, blue sky. Nice cool winter day, so Texas didn't suck quite so bad today.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

3 flakes?   :o   So are you running into the snow storage problem?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on December 09, 2005, 05:10 PM NHFT
So, as "real winter" sets in and there's no melting, only more accumulation, do you have to develop a strategy for "snow storage"?

I know a lot of it will sublimate, and some will compact down into ice, but do you reach a point where you've got more snow than you can pile off to the side of your driveway?
Many times last winter it all melted or it rained on it. It rained last year right before Christmas and it was all gone. You only have to do so much planning here.

I am planning to push the snow up agaist our trailer skirting this year and iglooize a bit. But with runoff from the roof and general melting, my best laid plans might melt away.

Lloyd Danforth

Most winters, at least, here in S. New England, the snow cover dissapears between storms, but, the year before last it didn't. ?Last year wasn't as bad, but, close. You're right, it does sublimate, melts and freezes, turns to ice, dirty ice near the roads.

Pat McCotter

Last year Concord had to put it in trucks to haul away.