• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Our Duck Pond in Texas project

Started by Russell Kanning, August 15, 2011, 07:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

This is not so much an "Underground project", but rather into the ground project. Farm ponds of every variety are very popular around here, since it rains quite a bit (36" in Dallas), but has dry periods. It is a very hot and very dry summer this year and I have seen some people take advantage and dig out their dry ponds to expand them. This is one of the things that inspired us to start digging in our back 40 (or rather back 2). The other was to have collect some water for dry times and for our ducks to play in.

Below you can see our progress so far.
We have not quite completed the removal of the first layer (6" to 10") and we have ventured down another 18" in the center. The hole is 28'x24' right now. It is black dirt that is full of hard clay right now. The good news is that this sort of soil really holds the water ... when we get it. The next layer is a little more brown and softer. No big rocks yet, just limestone stuph that the shovel just kinda breaks. We dig a little in the morning before it gets 100 and at night as the sun goes down. The temperature doesn't get below 80 much this summer.

Kat Kanning

Jim Johnson

KBCraig

I thought you had to call it a "tank" in that part of Texas.

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

I wonder what all will want to grow in it later.

Sheep Fuzzy Wool

Wow. I had know idea you two were in Texas? 
Texas is a nice place.
So much for me reading the whole lot of threads.  :blush:

littlehawk

Very nice! I eat duck eggs, very tastey. Build them coops to lay in. otherwise they drop them in the water.

Lloyd Danforth

I keep thinking of that sad, kinda dry pond at Ed & Elaine's.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

I only pointed that out because, it looked as though they were depending on Ground table water to keep it as a pond, and it wasn't working.

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 17, 2011, 01:32 PM NHFT
I only pointed that out because, it looked as though they were depending on Ground table water to keep it as a pond, and it wasn't working.
and it always disturbed me that it was above their house .... maybe it was to wash feds off the front step.

If we get no runoff then we will have to dig really deep during dry times like now. That was part of the reason to dig now even though it is hot. I am surprised those with dry ponds are not digging now while the have a chance

The ducks have a coop but we let them out to eat stuph. With the chickens, I love turning grasshoppers and plants into eggs each day. :)

Lloyd Danforth

I could send your ducks a picture of Kilton pond.

Kat Kanning

There's an awful lot of these "tanks" round here.  Almost none of them have streams flowing into them.  Water seems to show up form somewhere :)