• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Jobs With out a SSN #

Started by AvatarofVirgo, November 24, 2005, 09:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a checking and savings account with USAA which is meant for military family members.  The closest branch is in San Antonio and I live north of Austin.  It's the only branch that I know of in the US.  I like it but it would be nice if I had a bank account that was close I could drive to to put cash in my account.  But this is beside the point of this thread.  I was thinking of opening an account with a local bank but not if I have to provide a SSN.  If I am to burn my card and not use the number any more, how can I manage with out the evil #?

Right now I don't have a job and all I have is a high school diploma.  So my second question is what kind of jobs can I get with just a high school diploma and I don't have to provide a SSN?  Is there some guide some where I can learn how to manage my life with out a SSN?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If I can do all these things then I will burn my SS card.

While I'm here I might as well ask this as well.  I'm a FSP member but because I don't have a job I also don't have any money, I don't even have my own car yet.  When would it even be plausible to move to New Hampshire from a economics point of view?

My dad keeps suggesting jobs but the ones he wants me to do are all with be corporations like Dell for example and I keep telling him I'm a small business kind of person and have no interest in working for a big company.  Right now I'm studying to take the A+ exam, but I find it a real pain in the ass.  It seems to test how well your memory is from reading books, not how well you are at troubleshooting a PC in real life and I've never been a very good test taker.  It would be a nice if some one with a small business would hire me and not care about "education" or my SSN.  I've allways been good at troubleshooting PC problems sense I was 15.  Friends and family allways come to me to do things for them or fix something.  Yet this A+ practice test I've been doing makes me feel like a retard.  So it's not that I don't know how to do my stuff, I just have a crappy memory and not great at test or "schooling".

I don't know any FSP members in my area nor do I want to be a burden on any one to help me move up there.  I'd rather be able to support my self when moving up there from Texas.  But I have no real roots here and I'd really love to move up there as soon as possible.  What should I do in my situation?

AlanM

Russell would probably be the best one to give advice on your questions.
With the long-term growth of the Tuath, things should be a lot easier for folks to get by without "official papers"  >:D

Russell Kanning

I can't think of any way to have a checking account without a SS#. But you are on the right track for how to make money. Maybe you can fix friends and families computers and just keep expanding your customer base as you do good work. Maybe someone would hire you for your skills and find a way to pay you. :)

Lloyd Danforth

Become and remain self employed. Try to work for cash.  When you accept a check go to their bank with it.  Try to barter. Perhaps offering your PC talents to a car dealership in trade for a cheap car.

SWilliams

you can try giving 000-00-0000 for a SS# to get a bank acct, but that would probably raise a bunch of red flags with the Feds.

Lex

Quote from: SWilliams on November 25, 2005, 10:20 AM NHFT
you can try giving 000-00-0000 for a SS# to get a bank acct, but that would probably raise a bunch of red flags with the Feds.

What about? 101-01-0101  >:D

Caleb

you can put your money in an overseas bank account.  They will issue you a VISA card, which you can use.  Granted ... its not exactly easy to access, but it is doable if you don't want to use the card number.

Another trick (this one involves getting another govt ID, so its not much good if you're wanting to go completely ID # free) is to simply file for a free business ID number from the IRS.  Make up any business name you want.  Then open a business checking account.

Caleb

MattLeft

Quote from: calibaba77 on November 25, 2005, 05:24 PM NHFT

Another trick (this one involves getting another govt ID, so its not much good if you're wanting to go completely ID # free) is to simply file for a free business ID number from the IRS.  Make up any business name you want.  Then open a business checking account.

Caleb

This seems a good idea.  You give the bank an IRS-approved number, one which you can discard at any time.  Close the account, stop using that number, and repeat the whole process again with new # whenever you want.  This would seem to eliminate the problem of having one specific number attached to you for life.

Heyduke

It is called an EID (Employer ID). 

In NH, my experience with obtaining a business account has been:  you have to be incorporated with the State of NH to get an EID to get a business account.  I own 3 LLC names in NH with 3 corresponding accounts at Bank of America, Manchester branch.  I do not recall having to provide my SS# for any of this, but bear in mind that using/having a business creates a whole new book of concerns from a taxation and income perspective. 

Best advice I can offer is:  choose your battles wisely--you have the rest of your life to work for your causes, so don't be your own worst enemy.

Russell Kanning

I wonder if people said to each other "choose your battles" in Germany in the 30's

Lloyd Danforth

Yes they did, and, some of them got out.

Kat Kanning

Are you saying we should leave the country rather than stay in NH and fight it?

Ron Helwig

Quote from: katdillon on November 26, 2005, 09:56 AM NHFT
Are you saying we should leave the country rather than stay in NH and fight it?
Just leave all the other states and come here  :D