• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need roof put on in Canterbury

Started by HardyMachia, September 06, 2011, 11:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

HardyMachia

I'm looking to pay a FSPer to put another layer of shingles on my roof. There is currently only one layer and I've been told you can shingle over just one layer (and if you can't then I need old shingles removed).

hardy@catamount.com
603-378-1572

SethCohn

Joel or Rob Malone, 2 good people to talk to...
But I wouldn't add a set over the existing set.  trust me, do it right once.

MaineShark

You can shingle over one layer, just fine, as long as the installer is competent.  In some ways, the double layer can actually be safer.

Just make sure you actually only have one layer.  The problems crop up when there are already two (or more) layers, and you try to add another.

How big is the roof, and does it have any valleys and such, or is it just a simple roof?  I know a few folks I can mention it to...

Joe

Lloyd Danforth

The age of the original roof is a big factor. Joel is one of the best roofers I have ever seen. I roofed, and performed other home repair functions for many years.

Jim Johnson

Am I the only one who tryed to talk to hardy in person?
The phone number is no good.

Russell Kanning

I wish I was in the shire. I could fall off  that roof with you.

I love extra layers of shingles .... like Lloyd said ... if the bottom isn't all messed up.

Lloyd Danforth

I was going to inquire if Jim's insurance was paid up

Jim Johnson

MaineShark

Yeah, might want to check with any folks you might hire, regarding how much insurance they carry.  Someone falls off a roof, and they could sue you for a million, easily, in many cases.  There are some folks, of course, who wouldn't play such games, but there are those who think like politicians and are inclined to use the government to get what they want, and might.

Or hire someone that you know won't do so.

Joe

Tom Sawyer

MaineShark

Yeah, I think Jim's reputation speaks for itself - I can't imagine him using the system for his own benefit, if he won't even use it for his own defense.  Which is not to automatically condemn anyone who uses the system in self-defense, but just to say that, if someone is that strict about not using the system, I don't think folks need to worry about that individual using it for lesser reasons, like trying to make a quick buck.

There's also the risk of damage to the house if roof work is not done correctly.  A slow leak can go undetected over time, and on occasion be enough to rot (and infect with mold) so much of a house that it's easier to tear it down and build new, than to try and repair the extensive damage.

In most cases, I would want to see a million or more in insurance from any contractor I was going to hire for work like that, but there are a few, select individuals who have reputations which would provide me equal comfort to that provided by proof of insurance.

Joe

Russell Kanning

I have found that bad people can do stuff to you no matter what.
I thought we were all getting insurance from Obama. That is why I voted for him .... I think.

Lloyd Danforth

So!  That's what you were doing behind the curtain! Stay out of my voting hall!  :P

Becky Thatcher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 10, 2011, 07:06 AM NHFT
I was going to inquire if Jim's insurance was paid up
Why do you need this info?  Isn't that a question for the guy paying for the job to be done?  :P

Lloyd Danforth