• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Good bank or credit union?

Started by CurtHowland, April 14, 2011, 09:25 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtHowland

Right now I'm doing business with "Freedom Federal Credit Union", nice name anyway.

Any recommendations for a banking institution in Manchester?

Or even better, any I should _avoid_?

MaineShark

Business and personal, or personal-only?

If business, I recommend Centrix.  Local bank, with high levels of customer service.

Joe

CurtHowland

No business, just personal. That's why a credit union would work.

I'll look into Centrix, thanks.

MaineShark

Quote from: CurtHowland on April 14, 2011, 10:17 AM NHFTNo business, just personal. That's why a credit union would work.

I'll look into Centrix, thanks.

Centrix is a business bank, so you can only have personal accounts there if you also have business accounts.

Joe

CurtHowland

Well, I got a list of affiliated credit unions from a friend who travels, and Granite State credit union has a branch near where I'm rooming.

What really surprised me is that I opened a "checking" account, but not a word was said about checks. Turns out that unless I bring it up, they don't even bother.

This is quite a surprise. I realize that electronic bill pay has become relatively effective in recent years, nothing like how well it works in Japan though, but do folks really not use checks at all?

KBCraig

Quote from: CurtHowland on May 01, 2011, 09:07 AM NHFT
I realize that electronic bill pay has become relatively effective in recent years, nothing like how well it works in Japan though, but do folks really not use checks at all?

I only write three checks a month (mortgage, trailer, and water bill). I haven't written a check at a store in years.

doobie

I use Digital Federal Credit Union...been using 'em for nearly 11 years.

K. Darien Freeheart

Granite State Credit Union has been good. Clean buildings, friendly tellers, detailed receipts, no long lines.

http://www.gscu.org

Russell Kanning

djbridgeland

In Manchester I like St. Mary's Bank the oldest Credit Union in the US.They opened in the early 1900's to service the growing immigrant population who was moving to Manchester in droves to work at the Amoskeag mills.   Multiple locations throughout Manchester and several other locations in the Merrimack Valley. It's only a 1 time $5 fee to join plus they have overdraft protection up to $300 for totally free. That means no returned check fees or overdraft charges up to $300.

CurtHowland

Granite State, the office on Elm street, also has a very pretty teller. So I'm happy going there.

littlehawk

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 03, 2011, 09:53 PM NHFT
good bank .... hhahahaha

a bit late, as I have never seen this post, but yeah, no such thing.

I have no use for a bank. I can live my life without them.