• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cell Phone Service?

Started by FSPinNY, November 27, 2005, 04:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FSPinNY

So, what company do you use?  The coverage maps of the companies offering service in NH show lots of non-coverage.  I'd like to get a NH-based cell phone and have it work in upstate NY, MA and NH.  What's working for you?  Thanks  ;D

Brian 

AlanM

They let you have phones in cells now? Geez.  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Hi Brian.  I have been on Verizon for 3 years now.  It works fine thru out southern New England, Maine and New Hampshire.  It worked in Lancaster at Rogers, but, not in Grafton, due to no antennas in that area.  I'm afraid that some areas are still catching up and you won't find one service that will work everywhere.
Lloyd

Pat McCotter

T-Mobile is very limited. Virgin has a bit more than T-Mobile.

FSPinNY

Hi Lloyd and all -

See the kind of thing that occupies my thoughts these days?  Move planning!  Verizon works well here in central NY too - does it work in Keene and Cape Cod?

What about Cingular, Sprint, or others?

Brian

Heyduke

Quote from: FSPinNY on November 27, 2005, 06:53 PM NHFT
Hi Lloyd and all -

See the kind of thing that occupies my thoughts these days?  Move planning!  Verizon works well here in central NY too - does it work in Keene and Cape Cod?

What about Cingular, Sprint, or others?

Brian

The big 3 in NH right now are Verizon, T-Mobile and US Cellular in that order.  Cingular is not yet in NH and Sprint is marginal. 

I have gone from USCell to TMobile and intend to switch over to Verizon. 

Lloyd Danforth

My Verizon works well in Keene and when my sister was at the Cape last summer she called me many times with her Verizon phone.

toowm

Just agreeing, but my wife has Verizon while I have Cingular through work. Cingular is lousy in NH, but she has good reception in most places.

Dave Ridley

Northern Keene coverage just got a big boost at least if you have sprint. 

Also for what it's worth I was able to just barely get a signal on hilltops in Lancaster (porcfest site).

Another thing to keep in mind is that Verizon fired Porcupine Jeff Jordan in violation of its own procedures when he got arrested for peaceful open carry in ohio.   Sprint I hear has donated to anti gun campaigns tho...  every company has its problems.   Oh and kat says vonage is unspeakably bad in terms of service.

JonM

Verizon Wireless is a different company than Verizon, though it is mostly owned by Verizon along with Vodafone.

Michael Fisher

Verizon Wireless' service is terrible here.  Nextel/Sprint is the only way to go. 

The Concord police officer who drove me to jail asked me about it and said his Verizon Wireless service is good there.

Verizon Wireless lied to me saying it would work in Newmarket when, in fact, you can only receive phone calls here through their contract with another company in the area.

Even Nextel/Sprint is spotty in Newmarket.

Michael Fisher

Nextel/Sprint works almost everywhere in Eastern New Hampshire.  I've travelled through almost every town for business purposes and it rarely loses a signal.  Newmarket is just a hole in the ground, I guess.

Heyduke

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on December 04, 2005, 04:18 PM NHFTNewmarket is just a hole in the ground, I guess.

sorry that you had to live there to figure this out

;D

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Heyduke on December 04, 2005, 07:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on December 04, 2005, 04:18 PM NHFTNewmarket is just a hole in the ground, I guess.

sorry that you had to live there to figure this out

;D

I thought that was why he moved there ;D

Seriously, though.  1 year ago, my Verizon worked great in the Lancaster area.  However, I have to leave Lancaster to make a call at the 2005 Porcfest.  I switched to Spring because I thought it was a better company, and still do.  I am glad that Sprint is expanding in NH as I'd rather not switch back to Verizon.

BTW, Sprint will take 50 cents off your bill for every dropped call you have.  Just call sprint service at *2, then press 1 for English, and say "a dropped call."  I have even had trouble with both Spring and Verizon in the 'big city.'

free55

Little known fact:

If you have a verizon cell phone:

Once per month, dial *228 to reprogram the phone with new software and tower updates.  Otherwise after a while the phone serve starts to deteriorate.  Too bad they don't tell their customers. >:(