• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

To volunteer in the community as a fireman or not

Started by Grey, October 23, 2011, 04:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey

So we've made the move to New Hampshire.  In an effort to assimilate into our local community we are networking personally, opening a business and would like to volunteer.  We received a flier in our PO box from the local fire department about needing volunteers.  I've applied and am awaiting approval.  The application was intrusive as to be expected and I was informed that I would be paid for any training and fire calls that I attended.

I have issues with the intrusiveness that are obvious to anyone reading this.  I'm especially sickened by the money that they steal from peaceable people to fund my "volunteer" actions. 

My options are simply to participate in the system as is or don't.  At this point I don't see a way to participate without jumping through any of their hoops.  This is something I want to do as I really want to help others and I thought this might be the best way for the community to see this.

The best thing I can see is if the money aspect bothers me so much then I could simply donate it to a favorite charity of my own. i.e. RidleyReport, CopBlock, etc.  Or should I use this money to offset the monies stolen from me by the king to subsidize my life?

littlehawk

I don't live in NH but here is my two cents. IMO, firefighters have now become an extension of law enforcement. They are now trained to snitch, get confessions, confiscate weapons and they will blindly enforce any orders given to them by law enforcement goons. I do believe many of them are honest people who do it to help others but they are being strung along and can't see the harm they do. And the others are complete idiots who sign on just because they can power-trip off it.

If you choose, you could do something more "people-friendly" and still promote your business at the same time like having free hamburger days, meet-n-greet events tailored to specific people (kids, geriatric folks, athletes, etc), have bake sales and donate it to homeless shelters, etc, etc.   

That is all.   :-\

Jim Johnson

As a rule of thumb;

People do not realize the importance of the firefighter associations in their town.  They are usually low key but very powerful groups. 

Usually they let you in if your young and healthy.

They get new fire equipment from the state and your views of the world, as a Freestater, may rub roughly against the way they operate.

Suffice it to say that the VFD is a good old boy's club.  They are not going to imagine that they will put their lives in your hands if you do not think the way they do.

And one more thing:  Be prepared to deal with strong willed know-it-alls.

Silent_Bob

Um... No.

Young is relative, average age in GFD is 55.

Equipment is by local taxpayer extortion and voluntary donations, the state pays nothing.

The VFD is apolitical, if your house is burning you get the same service regardless of political views.

There is a strong "that"s the way we've always done it" mentality which can be overcome by reason.   

littlehawk

Where I live they are desperate for volunteers...they'll take anyone. I have seen 60 year old guys that can't even get up a ladder and can't walk 5 minutes on mountain terrain without taking a break.

I also see a lot of what I call "reject-type" people, (goofy looking and plain ignorant) who sign on. I steer clear of all of them. If I need help, I call friends. 

Jim Johnson

Critical reading skills.

Didn't say the group on the whole was young; if you are young, they let you in.  That doesn't mean they reject you if you are old or debilitated.

I don't see how paying for things through taxation is not an activity of the state.  Fund drives are not the primary source of funds for the majority of VFD; taxes are.

Didn't say that VFD were a political group, I said they are powerful.  They are connected to all parts of the local community, which includes members of the government and local businesses, which means that if they chose to they have a great deal of sway in the community.

"that"s the way we've always done it" mentality = strong willed know-it-alls

And it's a rule of thumb, which means it has applied to every fire department I've been associated with, but may not apply to the view you have of yours.

Fluff and Stuff

I know FSPers that are involved with a local fire department.  None of them have expressed any problems to me about it.  If you are super against the government or something, perhaps it makes sense for you not to get involved with the government.  If it is an issue for you, then don't do it.  There are likely dozens of other community activities you can get involved in so just do them instead.

Russell Kanning

What is your business?
It would be cool if you bought Ridley Report ads with your fire department pay. He could have a funny jingle about the funds coming from the ______ Town Fire Department. :)
I would guess there are big differences between the different fire departments across NH. We have had run-ins with the Keene FD taking cameras and threatening people like a cop would. A state fire marshal has tried to put a decent guy in Jaffrey in jail. Another state fire marshal threatened us with state troopers in Grafton. On the other hand the local fire department in Grafton has never gotten in our way or caused problems and Jim knows a good guy (Whip) from the Winchester fire department.
And I consider it a right of every NH taxpayer to make fun of the firemen and ask them how many foundations they have saved this year. ;)
I didn't do anything with the fire department because I figured they would require me to report, say, or promise something I couldn't do.

Pat K

Grey

I'm going to pass on the idea of being a fireman.  The right thing to do is not participate in something in which some if not all of its funds are derived through the threat of violence.

The business I'm opening is Quality Computer Service.  My plans are to have a repair facility with a few computer items to sell.  Once my technical area is in place I'll have a small showroom type area.  In this area I want to create a gathering space for anyone whom may want to frequent my location.  I'm going to have free coffee, computers to use and possibly donuts.  I'll have a few others beverages and foods to sell. The idea is to create a space where people can communicate amongst each other to include me.  The hope is when they need my services they'll come to us.  Most importantly though I can use the business and its conversational atmosphere to plant seeds of anti-aggression ideals.  I owned a very similar location before we moved to NH and the last two years of running the store I did just that.  People were very receptive to voluntarism type ideas and as one would expect more concerned about liberty than that person thought.

Grey

Quote from: littlehawk on October 23, 2011, 09:33 PM NHFT

If you choose, you could do something more "people-friendly" and still promote your business at the same time like having free hamburger days, meet-n-greet events tailored to specific people (kids, geriatric folks, athletes, etc), have bake sales and donate it to homeless shelters, etc, etc.   

That is all.   :-\

I'm thinking "Hot Dog" Tuesdays.

Grey

Quote from: Pat K on October 24, 2011, 03:56 PM NHFT

This is likely a consequence of a union stipulation about standing for long periods of time.

Grey

Quote from: Silent_Bob on October 24, 2011, 12:32 AM NHFT
Equipment is by local taxpayer extortion and voluntary donations, the state pays nothing.

When I attended the open house the chief stated that they will occasionally get a grant from the state.  He made it sound like it was small.  Not that small makes it right.

Grey

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 24, 2011, 03:18 PM NHFT
What is your business?

I didn't do anything with the fire department because I figured they would require me to report, say, or promise something I couldn't do.

Quality Computer Service

It was the normal intrusive application with the attached W-4 and criminal background check.

Grey

I decided to do the fireman thing.  I will cease to do such thing at which point it becomes undo-able for me.  Haven't decided what I'll do with the stolen funds I'll receive yet.  So far I haven't been subjected to a pecking order.  Most everyone I've met seems to be a genuinely good person.  I'll make sure to update this thread as I go.