• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

To volunteer in the community as a fireman or not

Started by Grey, October 23, 2011, 04:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

keep it. 

You are forced to pay into this system at the point of a gun.  Why wouldn't you take that money back if you can?  Get in and work to be the guy that runs the thing.  Then you can do the liberty thing and start cutting the fat of the department.

If you really feel that guilty, then donate the funds to things like the Liberty Scholarship Fund, CDEF, or help fund things like the Thanksgiving Baskets that I've seen all over facebook. 

Grey

Quote from: AntonLee on November 18, 2011, 05:24 PM NHFT
keep it. 

You are forced to pay into this system at the point of a gun.  Why wouldn't you take that money back if you can?  Get in and work to be the guy that runs the thing.  Then you can do the liberty thing and start cutting the fat of the department.

If you really feel that guilty, then donate the funds to things like the Liberty Scholarship Fund, CDEF, or help fund things like the Thanksgiving Baskets that I've seen all over facebook.

I considered the keep it option for the reason you mentioned.  Then I remembered why I wanted to volunteer.  To do just that.

I don't feel guilty.  I want to GIVE my time where it could be used and I thought this would be a good place for lots of reasons.  Most importantly in an attempt to change things from within.  I dislike the system but so many others whom believe in it don't know what a statist is let alone that they are one.  Anytime I think someone will listen I'm explaining the taxation is theft scheme.  Fortunately I've seen most whom participate in these talks with me scratch their heads in a positive way.

Grey

So far its been about what I thought it would be.  Lots of people with little to do.  I received my first $35 check today.  Cashed it and gave it to the local Mother Theresa who runs something called Friendly Meals.  Twice a week and on holidays they provide meals to those whom are less fortunate.

I've had their pager now for over a month and have only had two calls.  One of which I was unable to attend.  The first call was for an overturned vehicle.  I ended up standing with 5 others in the middle of a fork in the road manning LED road markers for three hours.  It was very cold.  Had I known all of these people would have shown up, I'd likely stayed home as the call came in right after dinner and just before the baby's bath.  I felt robbed.  :)

littlehawk

I donate time working in a homeless shelter, mostly cooking. I make some 4-alarm chili that keeps the folks warm and
de-toxed. As of late we have been going through more toilet paper than usual.

Grey

Quote from: Grey on December 19, 2011, 10:44 PM NHFT

If you don't like/can't accept the unpredictable nature of emergency work you probably shouldn't be doing it.

I was less concerned about the emergent/unpredictable nature of the job than I was with the 6 people whom were paid to stand in a fork in the road for three hours.  There were approximately 8 cars that passed.  Seemed wasteful to me.

Lloyd Danforth

Around here it is all volunteer, except for the cops.

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 20, 2011, 05:59 PM NHFT
Around here it is all volunteer, except for the cops.
Who, as I just remembered is salaried and probably doesn't make any extra money hanging around at scenes.