• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anyone know anything about air rifles?

Started by PowerPenguin, October 27, 2011, 12:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Hey all,

I heard an ad on FTL for a company selling higher powered air rifles, so I decided to check it out. One in particular, the Sam Yang Dragon Claw sounds interesting. I'm considering doing this or getting an actual cartridge based rifle depending on the pros and cons. I'm not completely unversed in firearms, but I know there are a lot of people here that are quite more knowledgeable. Really, this would be for target shooting, and perhaps for getting rid of small animals that don't know how to stay in the woods.

Pellet:

Pros- Not classified as a "firearm" for most intents and purposes (this is a big plus), Quieter, cheaper ammo
Cons- Having to deal w/ pressurizing it. This would mean buying a pump or buying a tank and having to pay to have that filled periodically. Less powerful. Less accurate at longer distances. Weight doesn't seem to be all that different from a similar spec "real" rifle.

To me, it comes down to whether the reduced noise factor and not having to deal with as many regs is worth the added cost/annoyance of having to pressurize the thing. Does anyone have experience with this particular rifle or others like it?

KBCraig

That's a lot of air rifle. I've never shot a .50 before, but some of them have been used to take game up to the size of deer and hogs.

For small critters, both game and pests up to small rabbit size, the much more common .177, .20 and .22 caliber high velocity pellet rifles are much more common. Pellets are easier to find (almost any local store that carries air guns will have them). At the same energy level, the smaller the caliber the higher the velocity, and some hypervelocity .177 rifles have a very noticeable sonic "crack" when fired.

If you stick with the smaller calibers I listed, you can also eliminate air tanks and go with a "springer" design, either barrel cock or side cock. You lose a little accuracy, but you gain consistency between shots.

I have a Chinese "Fast Deer" (Norinco) KL-3B sidecocker .177, which I would trust to accurately take headshots on squirrels or rabbits at 15 yards.

Tom Sawyer

I use mine to kneecap unruly squirrels.   ;D

Jim Johnson

I completely enjoyed my Crosman 1377C Air Pistol; it was very accurate and powerful.  It was nice because I could hold it as a pistol or as a rifle.  I could shoot wasps at 10 feet with it.  I passed it on to my brother when his kids were old enough to start shooting.

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

grasshopper

Kat, how big is the offending VVVarmint  (Yeosemity Sam voice)?
   If you put a pellit in a Yote, it will suffer and eventually die, but if you want to use a non firearm, you have to be close to the teeth of the said Varment Ya Rabbit! (sorry, did it again!
   I suggest asking some of the locals, who has good luck taking Yotes, Ya screwy Rabbit!  (Oh no, I can't stop)....   Now where is that Sasparilla juice?
   No, seriously, Call Chester Collage and they might want to do a chronic wasting study, from eating infected deer thing, or something, and they might get "Rid of the Varment!"
   I'm sorry for trying to make you guys as dumb as I am....
   Ed ;D