• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

1950's Keene

Started by Pat K, November 02, 2011, 02:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

Kat Kanning

AntonLee

seems like a strange place for a goodyear tire store. . . I don't see a garage door.  Did people buy the tires there and drive down the street to have them installed at a garage?

Lloyd Danforth

Probably a garage on the back of the building. There wasn't a large variety of tires then and only a few common sizes. There are some cars in the image from the 1960's.

KBCraig

The '57 Chevy in the left foreground is the newest thing I see. What am I missing?

Tom Sawyer

The thing I notice is that people were much wealthier...  I mean they're all driving around in classic cars.

Russell Kanning

big gas guzzling classic cars

Lloyd Danforth

The Lark or valiant in the lower right corner and, I think the car right in front of the tire place. Could be wrong.

KBCraig

That could be a '61-62 Valiant, but the rear line doesn't look quite right, and the front end isn't right. Definitely not a Lark.

I can't tell about the car right in front of the tire shop.

Going off track a bit here, but the Lark made me think of the 1948 Studebaker dealership in the old hometown.

To its right is the old Esso station on Main Street.

You can see a few other views, the depot where Dad and I both worked, and the spot on Talimena Drive where I proposed to Mary, all here:

http://fleeterlogs.blogspot.com/2007/10/117-talimena-trail-and-wandering-thru.html

Free libertarian

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 02, 2011, 06:28 AM NHFT
Probably a garage on the back of the building. There wasn't a large variety of tires then and only a few common sizes. There are some cars in the image from the 1960's.

I was gonna mention that too (the early '60s cars) but I didn't want to get all gear heady on everybody.

Russell Kanning

and KB first held her hand just to the south of this picture on main street